Net electric field question

In summary, two charges, -16 and +4.1 µC, are fixed in place on the x-axis at x = 3.0 m and x = 0 m, respectively. The net electric field is zero at a point that is not in between the two charges. To find the value of this point using Coulomb's Law, the interaction with the charge closest to this point should be considered. A diagram can be drawn to show the directions of the electric fields in different regions and the arrows can be cancelled in the region where the net electric field is zero. This can help determine the force on any charge placed at this point, which would be zero due to the net electric field being zero.
tigerguy
Two charges, -16 and +4.1 µC, are fixed in place on the x-axis at x = 3.0 m and x = 0 m, respectively.

a. At what spot along the x-axis is the net electric field zero?
b. What would be the force on a charge of +17 µC placed at this spot?

I know that the point where this occurs does not occur in between these two charges. But I'm not really sure how to represent this point in Coloumb's Law to find its value.

Then, after finding this point, I'm not sure if I should just consider the interaction with the charge that is closest to this point, or the interaction with both charges.

I'll appreciate any direction that will help solve this problem. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Lol... I thought the part under the line was your signature for some reason. That'll teach me to read.

For the first part: Is the point to the left or right of both charges? (is x > 3 or x < 0?).

For the second part... if the net electric field is zero, how much force is being applied to ANY charge?

Draw a diagram and indicate the two charges. Then draw arrows representing directions of fields of both charges in the three regions (x < 0, 0< x < 3 and x > 3). In which region(s) can the arrows cancel?

1. What is the concept of a net electric field?

The net electric field is a measure of the overall electric field at a particular point in space, taking into account the contributions from multiple electric charges present in the vicinity.

2. How is the net electric field calculated?

The net electric field is calculated by adding the individual electric field vectors from each charge using vector addition. The resulting vector represents the net electric field at a given point.

3. How does distance affect the strength of the net electric field?

The strength of the net electric field decreases as the distance from the source charges increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

4. Can the net electric field be zero?

Yes, the net electric field can be zero if the electric field vectors from all the charges cancel each other out. This is possible when the charges are arranged symmetrically or when there are equal and opposite charges present.

5. How does the presence of a conductor affect the net electric field?

The presence of a conductor can affect the net electric field by redistributing the charges on its surface. This can result in a change in the strength and direction of the net electric field at a given point.