1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net electric field

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 of charge -1.23 x 10-7 C is at the origin and particle 2 of charge +1.23 x 10-7 C is at x = 15.5 cm. Midway between the particles, what is the magnitude of the net electric field?

2. Relevant equations
    E=kQ/r^2 and/ or E=2kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the first equation and I got 3.68e5 N/C then I used the second equation because there are two charges and I got 3.93e5 N/C. Both of these answers were marked wrong and I don't know why. Any help? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2
    well your halfway there if you did the math right on both of those. a major concepts of electrodynamics is the rule of superposition, which states that the electric fields at any point is the sum of all the electric fields due to each electric charge effecting your system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook