Calculating Net Electric Flux in a Cylindrical Solid of Charge - Homework Help

In summary, the problem involves determining the net electric flux of a cylindrical solid of charge, given specific values for the charge, radius, and length, as well as a cylindrical shell with a larger radius and length. The net electric flux can be found by using the equation q*(h/H), but since the answer is supposed to be in units of Q/ε0, the equation needs to be rewritten as (12h/H)(Q/ε0).
asdf12312

Homework Statement

The charge distribution in the figure to the right is a cylindrical solid of charge q, radius R, and length H. The Gaussian surface S is a cylindrical shell with radius r and length h, with r > R. Determine the net electric flux given that q = 12Q, R = 5L, H = 6L, r does not apply, and h = 3L (type the integer value, along with the sign, without typing units Q/e0):

Homework Equations

"The net electric flux will be in units of Q/e0, with e0 the permittivity of free space."
e0=8.85x10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

have no idea how to do this. I tried q/e0 = 12/(8.85x10^-12) but its too huge value..maybe i got the wrong equation.

edit; i just got this. turns out you didn't need ANY equations at all, just common sense. its just q*(h/H) which in this case is 6 though I have no idea why this is the answer, it would just give you the enclosed charge right? you would still have to divide by e0..?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
asdf12312 said:

Homework Statement

The charge distribution in the figure to the right is a cylindrical solid of charge q, radius R, and length H. The Gaussian surface S is a cylindrical shell with radius r and length h, with r > R. Determine the net electric flux given that q = 12Q, R = 5L, H = 6L, r does not apply, and h = 3L (type the integer value, along with the sign, without typing units Q/e0):

Homework Equations

"The net electric flux will be in units of Q/e0, with e0 the permittivity of free space."
e0=8.85x10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

have no idea how to do this. I tried q/e0 = 12/(8.85x10^-12) but its too huge value..maybe i got the wrong equation.

edit; i just got this. turns out you didn't need ANY equations at all, just common sense. its just q*(h/H) which in this case is 6 though I have no idea why this is the answer, it would just give you the enclosed charge right? you would still have to divide by e0..?

Yes the net charge inside the Gaussian surface is qh/H but substitute q = 12Q and then ε0*(electric flux) = qh/H. The answer thus is electric flux = 12Qh/Hε0 but the answer is to be in units of Q/ε0 so what is the answer then? Does it help if I rewrite flux = (12h/H)(Q/ε0)?

1. What is net electric flux?

Net electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is determined by the strength of the electric field and the orientation of the surface relative to the field.

2. How is net electric flux calculated?

Net electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface vector. This calculation takes into account the strength of the electric field and the angle between the field and the surface.

3. Why is net electric flux important?

Net electric flux is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different surfaces. It is also a key concept in Gauss's Law, which is a fundamental law in electromagnetism.

4. How does net electric flux relate to electric charge?

Net electric flux is directly related to the amount of electric charge within a given surface. The higher the charge, the stronger the electric field and the greater the net electric flux will be.

5. What are some real-world applications of net electric flux?

Net electric flux is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering to design circuits and in physics to study electromagnetic fields. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and in medical imaging techniques like electrocardiography.