Net Flux due to charge on surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a point charge directly on the surface on the net flux through the surface. The question is whether it would contribute to the flux like a point inside the surface or behave like a point charge outside the surface. It is determined that according to Gauss's law, the charge must be within a closed surface for the field to be defined. Therefore, a point charge on the surface would not contribute to the flux.
qz27
Hello,
Will a point charge directly on the surface affect the net flux through the surface?

(will it contribute to the next flux like a point inside the surface? i thought about it, and it seems like it will produce the same # of electric field lines going in as going out, so would it behave like a point charge outside the surface?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say that Gauss's law refers to the charge within a closed surface; if a point charge were on the surface, its field would be undefined at that point.

hmm... i never knew that could happend, i thought it would either contribute to the flux or has nothing to do with it.
thanks!

1. What is "Net Flux due to charge on surface"?

"Net Flux due to charge on surface" refers to the total amount of electric flux passing through a surface due to the presence of electric charges on that surface.

2. How is the net flux calculated?

The net flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = ∫E·dA, where Φ is the net flux, E is the electric field, and dA is the surface area vector.

3. What factors affect the net flux due to charge on surface?

The net flux is affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges on the surface, the shape and orientation of the surface, and the strength and direction of the electric field.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the net flux?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the flux. If the electric field is perpendicular to the surface, the flux will be at its maximum value. If the electric field is parallel to the surface, the flux will be zero.

5. What is the unit of measurement for net flux?

The unit of measurement for net flux is volts (V) or newtons per coulomb (N/C). This represents the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge passing through the surface.