Solving a Puzzling Problem: Equal and Opposite Forces on a Rod

• Thread starter conquerer7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Rod
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equal and opposite forces acting on a uniform rod lying on a frictionless surface. It is explained that even though the net external force is zero, the center of mass would still move if these forces were applied. This is due to the rotation and angular momentum gained by the rod. The conversation also touches on the idea of translational motion of the center of mass and how it relates to the net force being zero.
conquerer7
Here's a dumb question I came up with that I'm not seeing the answer to.

For any system of particles, F_ext = M a_cm. Consider a uniform rod lying on a frictionless surface:

-----------^
----------------
--------------v

Equal and opposite forces are exerted on the rod where the ^ and v are. The net external force is zero, so the center of mass, which is at the center of the rod, does not move. But obviously it would move if you applied those forces, right? The whole thing would rotate around a point between the two points of application.

I'm probably making a really stupid mistake in thinking about this, so some help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that they have a different point of application? Both force vectors act at the center of mass.

-------^ N
-------|--------
-------v Fg

Or are you referring to some other forces, not the weight and the normal?

Last edited:
Nope, no weight and normal. This is a top-down view and I apply those two forces myself by, say, tapping the rod there.

conquerer7 said:
Nope, no weight and normal. This is a top-down view and I apply those two forces myself by, say, tapping the rod there.

If you only give two taps at those points ,the final result will be a rotation about the center of mass along with a translational motion of the center of mass. Since you have a torque the rod will gain angular momentum .The motion of the rod exactly when the forces are applied is probably a mathematical mess.

Where does the translational motion of the CM come from? The net force is zero, so the acceleration of the CM should be zero as well, right?

Right. The center of mass wouldn't move, and the rod would rotate about it. That might not match up with what you intuitively think will happen, but that's what happens.

1. What are equal and opposite forces on a rod?

Equal and opposite forces on a rod are two forces acting on opposite ends of a rod, with the same magnitude but in opposite directions. These forces cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How do equal and opposite forces affect the motion of a rod?

Equal and opposite forces on a rod do not affect the motion of the rod itself. However, they can cause the rod to rotate or pivot around a fixed point, depending on the location of the forces.

3. How can I solve a puzzling problem involving equal and opposite forces on a rod?

To solve a puzzling problem involving equal and opposite forces on a rod, you will need to use the principles of mechanics and Newton's laws of motion. You will also need to understand the concept of torque and how it relates to forces acting on a rod.

4. What is the importance of understanding equal and opposite forces on a rod in science?

Understanding equal and opposite forces on a rod is crucial in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mechanics. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of balanced forces, which is essential in designing structures and machines.

5. Can equal and opposite forces on a rod ever result in a net force?

No, equal and opposite forces on a rod will always result in a net force of zero. This is because the two forces cancel each other out, and there is no unbalanced force acting on the rod.