1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net force equilibrium.

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find Tension T and w2 in each cable in diagram.
    Diagram: http://i52.tinypic.com/8z33ub.jpg (i drew this in paint, sorry if it looks bad)

2. Relevant equations
    only basic algebra is needed

3. The attempt at a solution

To find T and w2 i need to find angle Alpha but i cannot seem to come up with a way to be able to find it. I have looked at geometry books to try to solve the angle using the other angle given but it is not possible for me. Once i get alpha i will be able to solve for T and W2 but finding angle alpha has proven to be impossible for me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2
    The problem needs more context. However, if the weight is free to move, then it will be in the center which will give equal angles.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    It is not free to move and thats the only information given and our professor expects us to solve. The T line is 40 degrees from horizontal axis, the W2 line is alpha degrees, it is a tension problem so the lines cannot stretch or bend, all the Forces just have to have net of 0.

The exact directions on the sheet with the diagram are "Find the tension T and W2 in each cable in the diagram below"

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. Sep 9, 2010 #4
    to find the Net x Force for T or W2 i know this equation is to be used:
    (-) T cos 40 + W2 Cos Alpha = 0

And when it comes to the Net y Forces, this equation is used:
    T sin 40 + W2 sin alpha = 220

but my problem is still finding that alpha, after i do i can just substitute and solve. But so far, that alpha has eluded me.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5
    So the problem here is that you have two equations and three unknowns, which makes the system underdetermined. I don't know what to tell you. If this is the only information you have the problem is simply unsolvable.

7. Sep 10, 2010 #6
    as it turns out the T = 110, our professor told us he forgot to include that. :<

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook