Finding Tension and w2: Solving for Angle Alpha

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the tension and weight in two cables in a diagram. The main issue is finding the angle alpha, which is necessary to solve for T and W2. However, the problem is underdetermined with only two equations and three unknowns. The issue is resolved when the professor clarifies that T = 110, allowing for the problem to be solved.
dvsumosize

Homework Statement

Find Tension T and w2 in each cable in diagram.
Diagram: http://i52.tinypic.com/8z33ub.jpg (i drew this in paint, sorry if it looks bad)

Homework Equations

only basic algebra is needed

The Attempt at a Solution

To find T and w2 i need to find angle Alpha but i cannot seem to come up with a way to be able to find it. I have looked at geometry books to try to solve the angle using the other angle given but it is not possible for me. Once i get alpha i will be able to solve for T and W2 but finding angle alpha has proven to be impossible for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem needs more context. However, if the weight is free to move, then it will be in the center which will give equal angles.

It is not free to move and that's the only information given and our professor expects us to solve. The T line is 40 degrees from horizontal axis, the W2 line is alpha degrees, it is a tension problem so the lines cannot stretch or bend, all the Forces just have to have net of 0.

The exact directions on the sheet with the diagram are "Find the tension T and W2 in each cable in the diagram below"

Last edited:
to find the Net x Force for T or W2 i know this equation is to be used:
(-) T cos 40 + W2 Cos Alpha = 0

And when it comes to the Net y Forces, this equation is used:
T sin 40 + W2 sin alpha = 220

but my problem is still finding that alpha, after i do i can just substitute and solve. But so far, that alpha has eluded me.

So the problem here is that you have two equations and three unknowns, which makes the system underdetermined. I don't know what to tell you. If this is the only information you have the problem is simply unsolvable.

as it turns out the T = 110, our professor told us he forgot to include that. :<

1. What is net force equilibrium?

Net force equilibrium refers to the state of an object when the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is net force equilibrium calculated?

To calculate net force equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is its acceleration. If the net force equals zero, the object is in equilibrium.

3. What happens when net force equilibrium is not achieved?

If net force equilibrium is not achieved, the object will experience a change in motion. If the net force is greater than zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is less than zero, the object will decelerate or change direction.

4. What are some real-life examples of net force equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of net force equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a car driving at a constant speed on a straight road, and a person sitting in a chair. In each of these scenarios, the net force on the object is equal to zero.

5. How does understanding net force equilibrium help in practical applications?

Understanding net force equilibrium is crucial in many practical applications, such as engineering and physics. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and design structures that can withstand forces without collapsing. It also helps in analyzing and solving problems involving forces and motion.