Net force exerted between hemispheres of uniformly charged sphere

In summary, the net force exerted by the southern hemisphere of a uniformly charged sphere on the northern hemisphere can be found by considering the two hemispheres as two point charges located at their center of mass, 3R/8 from the center. The potential can then be calculated using integrals, but this approach can lead to a complicated solution. Alternatively, the Maxwell stress tensor can be used to solve this problem.
Kelvin
Find the net force that the southern hemisphere of a uniformly charged sphere exerts on the northern hemisphere. Express your answer in terms of the radius R and the total charge Q
[the "model" answer is [tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3 Q^2}{16 R^2}[/tex]]

my attempt:

regard two hemispheres as two point charges located at their center of mass, [tex]\frac{3 R}{8}[/tex] from the center.

so
[tex]

F = \frac{1}
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\frac{{\left( {Q/2} \right)^2 }}
{{\left( {2 \times \frac{3}
{8}R} \right)^2 }} = \frac{1}
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\frac{4}
{9}\frac{{Q^2 }}
{{R^2 }}

[/tex]

but I got it wrong...

so, can anyone tell me how should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
regard two hemispheres as two point charges located at their center of mass, 3R/8 from the center.
this is not valid... this only work for a solid or hollow sphere...

Don't be lazy, you need integral in this problem... and a ungly one... show me some of your thought...

[tex]

\[
\begin{gathered}
{\text{OK, so I}}{\text{ try to start with potential, which is easier, then obtain the electric field by}} \hfill \\
E = - \nabla V \hfill \\
{\text{and finally }}F = qE.{\text{ So the potential at the point }}\left( {{\text{x}}_{\text{0}} ,y_0 ,z_0 } \right){\text{ due to the south hemisphere is}} \hfill \\
V = \frac{\rho }
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_0^{ - R} {\int_{ - \sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } }^{\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } {\int_{ - \sqrt {R^2 - z^2 - y^2 } }^{\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 - y^2 } } {\frac{{dxdydz}}
{{\sqrt {\left( {x - x_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {y - y_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {z - z_0 } \right)^2 } }}} } } \hfill \\
{\text{using cylindrical coordinates,}} \hfill \\
V = \frac{\rho }
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_0^{ - R} {\int_0^{2\pi } {\int_0^{\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } {\frac{1}
{{\sqrt {\left( {r\cos \theta - x_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {r\cos \theta - y_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {z - z_0 } \right)^2 } }}rdrd\theta dz} } } \hfill \\
\left( {r\cos \theta - x_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {r\cos \theta - y_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {z - z_0 } \right)^2 \hfill \\
= r^2 + z^2 + r_0 ^2 + z_0 ^2 - 2r\left( {x_0 \cos \theta + y_0 \sin \theta } \right) - 2zz_0 \hfill \\
{\text{put }}a = z^2 + r_0 ^2 + z_0 ^2 - 2zz_0 ,{\text{ }}b = x_0 \cos \theta + y_0 \sin \theta \hfill \\
{\text{then}} \hfill \\
\left( {r\cos \theta - x_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {r\cos \theta - y_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {z - z_0 } \right)^2 \hfill \\
= r^2 - 2br + a \hfill \\
= \left( {r - b} \right)^2 + a - b^2 \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
\]

[/tex]

[tex]
\[
\begin{gathered}
{\text{so}} \hfill \\
\[
\begin{gathered}
V = \frac{\rho }
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_0^{ - R} {\int_0^{2\pi } {\int_0^{\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } {\frac{{rdrd\theta dz}}
{{\sqrt {\left( {r\cos \theta - x_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {r\sin \theta - y_0 } \right)^2 + \left( {z - z_0 } \right)^2 } }}} } } \hfill \\
= \frac{\rho }
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_0^{ - R} {\int_0^{2\pi } {\int_0^{\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } {\frac{{rdr}}
{{\sqrt {\left( {r - b} \right)^2 + a - b^2 } }}} } } d\theta dz \hfill \\
= \frac{\rho }
{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_0^{ - R} {\int_0^{2\pi } {\left( { - b\ln \left( {\sqrt a - b} \right) + b\ln \left( { - b + \sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } + \sqrt {R^2 - z^2 + a - 2b\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } } \right) - \sqrt a + \sqrt {R^2 - z^2 + a - 2b\sqrt {R^2 - z^2 } } } \right)} dz} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
\]

\end{gathered}
\]
[/tex]

It's too complicated ...
any other suggestions?

use maxwell stress tensor to approach this problem... using potential field will lead you to a mess (sorry, forgot to warn you about that)...
show me some of your work so that i can further help you

I don't know tensor...
is there no other way to do this problem?

sorry, as far as I know, solving hard integral and maxwell stress tensor are the only way doing this problem, if you have a simpiler method, pls let me know

but this question is an exercise in chapter 2 of "Introduction to Electrodynamics" ...
how come I need tensor to solve the problem...

What is a uniformly charged sphere?

A uniformly charged sphere is a spherical object with an equal amount of charge distributed evenly throughout its surface.

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

How is the net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere calculated?

The net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere?

The net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere is affected by the amount of charge on each hemisphere, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between them.

Why is understanding the net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere important?

Understanding the net force exerted between hemispheres of a uniformly charged sphere is important in many fields of science, such as electromagnetism and particle physics. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of charged particles in the atmosphere.