1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Net Force of an Object using position function and momentum principle

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.80 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 4.50t2 - 1.15 and y = 2.90t3 + 1.95, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.05 seconds

2. Relevant equations

Change in momentum (p) = Fnet * Change in time

3. The attempt at a solution
    In taking the derivatives of the y position and x position separately, I now have the velocity functions. When plugging in t=2.05 to these velocity functions, I found the y and x component velocities. By using the Pythagorean theorem, I found the magnitude of the velocity, then multiplied that magnitude by the mass, 2.8kg, to find the magnitude of the momentum of the object.

I have this momentum (114.7 N) equal to the net force times the time. However, when I divide 114N/2.05seconds, my answer of 55.9 N is not correct.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted