Net Force of helicopter

In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the net force of a helicopter at a specific time using its position as a function of time. The equation for the position was given as r=(0.020m/s^2)t^3i + (2.2m/s)tj - (0.060m/s^2)t^2k, and the task was to find the force at t=5.0s in the form Fx, Fy, and Fz. The method involved plugging in 5.0 for each component in the r equation to get different masses, dividing each mass by 5.0 to get velocity, using the average acceleration formula to get different accelerations, and finally using F
xmflea
The position of a 2.75x10^5N helicopter under test is given by

r=(0.020m/s^2)t^3i + (2.2m/s)tj - (0.060m/s^2)t^2k

Find the net force of the helicopter at t=5.0s express the vector F in the form Fx, Fy, and Fz

so far i plugged in 5.0 to each component in the r equation which gave me different masses: 2.5, 11.0, and 1.5

then i divided each mass by 5.0 to get velocity, then i plugged everything into the average accleration formula to get different accelerations, and then i finally used F=ma to plug into get different forces for Fx Fy and Fz
.. and it looks like I am just going in a huge circle. not sure how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find acceleration when given position as a function of time?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basic principles of Newton's laws of motion. In this case, since we are dealing with a helicopter, we would need to consider the forces acting on it, such as gravity, air resistance, and the force generated by the helicopter's engines.

To find the net force of the helicopter at t=5.0s, we can use the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. However, in order to use this formula, we need to first calculate the acceleration of the helicopter at t=5.0s.

To do this, we can use the given position equation r=(0.020m/s^2)t^3i + (2.2m/s)tj - (0.060m/s^2)t^2k and take the second derivative with respect to time to find the acceleration. This would give us a=0.120i + 2.2j - 0.120k m/s^2.

Now, we can plug in this acceleration value into the formula F=ma to find the net force. Since the mass of the helicopter is not given, we can assume it to be 2.75x10^5N (given in the problem statement). This would give us a net force of F=(0.330i + 605j - 0.330k) x 10^5 N at t=5.0s.

In order to express this vector in the form Fx, Fy, and Fz, we can simply break down the vector into its x, y, and z components. This would give us Fx=0.330 x 10^5 N, Fy=605 x 10^5 N, and Fz=-0.330 x 10^5 N.

In conclusion, the net force of the helicopter at t=5.0s is (0.330i + 605j - 0.330k) x 10^5 N or (0.330 x 10^5 N, 605 x 10^5 N, -0.330 x 10^5 N) when expressed in its x, y, and z components.

1. What is the net force of a helicopter?

The net force of a helicopter is the sum of all the forces acting on the helicopter in a specific direction. It includes forces such as lift, weight, thrust, and drag.

2. How is the net force of a helicopter calculated?

The net force of a helicopter can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the helicopter. This is typically done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force are taken into account.

3. What factors affect the net force of a helicopter?

The net force of a helicopter can be affected by factors such as air density, altitude, weight of the helicopter, angle of attack, and speed of the rotors. These factors can impact the lift, thrust, and drag forces acting on the helicopter and ultimately affect the net force.

4. How does the net force of a helicopter affect its flight?

The net force of a helicopter directly affects its flight by determining its acceleration and direction of motion. If the net force is greater than the weight of the helicopter, it will have a positive acceleration and will rise. If the net force is less than the weight, it will have a negative acceleration and will descend.

5. How can the net force of a helicopter be controlled?

The net force of a helicopter can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the rotor blades, the speed of the rotors, and the angle of attack. These adjustments can help balance the forces acting on the helicopter and maintain a specific net force for stable flight.