Net force on a Merecedes convertible

In summary, the conversation discusses forces and their effect on objects in motion. It covers topics such as net force, friction, and the role of an engine in maintaining constant speed. The conversation also recommends reading Newton's Laws for a better understanding of these concepts.
92EG6
this is really into stuff and i fell really dumb that i can't figure this stuff out...

What is the net force on a Merecedes convertible traveling along a straight road at a steady speed of 110 km/hr? Answer in N
Where do i start?

If it takes 1 N to push horizontally on your book to make it slide at a constant velocity, how much force of friction acts on the book? Answer in N
If the book keeps moving at that constant speed i figured that i would be 0 but i was wrong... what am i doing wrong?

Three identical blocks are pulled on a horizontal frictionless surface. If tension in the rope held by the hand is T = 60 N, what is the tension in the other ropes?
Where do i start?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The engine is generating a force which is making the car move forward. When you are traveling at a constant speed in your car it means that the drag forces are equal to the force generated by the engine.

In short, just like with the book the forces in one direction are balanced by the forces in the other. This is why the book moves at constant speed! The forces are balanced.

Something will only change its speed or velocity if there is a NET or overall force.

I strongly recommend you read Newtons Laws. In particular the first! This will explain this and much more.

:smile:

thanks that helped

1. What is the net force on a Mercedes convertible?

The net force on a Mercedes convertible is the overall force acting on the car, taking into account all the individual forces that are acting on it. This includes the weight of the car, air resistance, and any other external forces.

2. How is the net force on a Mercedes convertible calculated?

The net force on a Mercedes convertible is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the car. This can be done using the formula Fnet = ma, where m is the mass of the car and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the net force on a Mercedes convertible?

The net force on a Mercedes convertible can be affected by a number of factors, such as the weight of the car, the slope of the road, and the speed of the car. Air resistance and friction can also play a role in determining the net force.

4. How does the net force on a Mercedes convertible impact its motion?

The net force on a Mercedes convertible is directly related to its acceleration. If the net force is greater than zero, the car will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is zero, the car will maintain a constant velocity. And if the net force is less than zero, the car will decelerate.

5. How can the net force on a Mercedes convertible be changed?

The net force on a Mercedes convertible can be changed by altering any of the individual forces acting on the car. This can be done by increasing or decreasing the weight of the car, changing the speed or direction of the car, or by adjusting any external forces such as air resistance or friction.