What is the net force on an airplane window at an elevation of 12500 m?

In summary: It seems as though you are supposed to compute the net force on the window, assuming the cabin is pressurized. Using the equation for pressure, P = Po + pgh, and the information that the atmospheric pressure is 10psi outside the plane and 2psi inside the plane, the net force on the window would be P = 10300 + (1.26 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(-0.115 m) = 1340 N downwards.
xdarkelf714x

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying at an elevation of 12500 m. The window on an airplane is a square of length 0.115 m on each side. What is the net force on the window?

Homework Equations

P = Po + pgh
p = 1.26 kg/m^3
Pair = 101.3 kPa

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using the elevation in the first equation, but I remembered that it applied to the displaced air so I used the height of the window. I had the force from the air pressure on the top of the window and the force from the air pressure on the bottom of the window.

P = 101300 Pa + (1.26 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(-0.115 m)
F = P * A
F = 101299 Pa * (0.115 m)^2
F = 1340 N downwards

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have missing information. You need to know the pressure of the outside air at 12500m, as well as the pressure of the air inside the plane (which is pressurized to a certain level for the comfort and survival of the passengers). If the pressure inside and outside the cabin is the same, there is no net force on the window. it's the difference in pressure that causes the net force. Also, you don't have to compute the small difference in pressure betwen the top and bottom of the window. Also, check your direction of the net force.

Unfortunately, that was the only information I got for the quiz.
PhanthomJay said:
You seem to have missing information. You need to know the pressure of the outside air at 12500m, as well as the pressure of the air inside the plane (which is pressurized to a certain level for the comfort and survival of the passengers). If the pressure inside and outside the cabin is the same, there is no net force on the window. it's the difference in pressure that causes the net force. Also, you don't have to compute the small difference in pressure betwen the top and bottom of the window. Also, check your direction of the net force.

Well then i don't know what you are supposed to assume, perhaps the inside of the plane at standard sea level atmospheric pressure? I'm not much into the metric system, but in USA units, the outside air pressure at 12500m (40000 feet or so) might be about only 2psi outside the plane, but maintained at 10 psi inside the plane, resulting in a net outward pressure of 8psi, and a net outward force (directed perpendicular to the window pointed away from the plane) of 8psi times the area of the window.
Or maybe you're supposed to assume the aircraft is unpressurized, in which case I already hinted at the answer.

Last edited:

1. What is net force on a window?

Net force on a window refers to the overall force exerted on a window by all external factors, such as wind, gravity, or pressure. It is the sum of all individual forces acting on the window.

2. How is net force on a window calculated?

To calculate the net force on a window, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on the window. Then, you can use vector addition to find the sum of these forces, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

3. What factors can affect the net force on a window?

The net force on a window can be affected by various factors, including wind speed and direction, air pressure, temperature, and the weight of objects pressing against the window.

4. How does the net force on a window impact its stability?

The net force on a window can impact its stability by either increasing or decreasing the likelihood of the window breaking or cracking. If the net force is high, it can put excessive pressure on the window and can lead to damage or breakage. However, if the net force is balanced, it can help keep the window stable and prevent it from breaking.

5. How can the net force on a window be reduced?

The net force on a window can be reduced by minimizing external factors that contribute to it, such as reducing wind speed or decreasing the weight of objects pressing against the window. Additionally, reinforcing the window or using materials with a higher strength can also help reduce the net force and increase the window's stability.