1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net force problem

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An advertisement claims that a particular automobile can "stop on a dime". What net force would actually be necessary to stop an automobile of mass 850 kg traveling initially at a speed of 51.0 km/h in a distance equal to the diameter of a dime, which is 1.8 cm? Answer must be in two sig. figs.

2. Relevant equations

V² = u² + 2 a*s
    F(net) = m*a

3. The attempt at a solution

51 km/h = 14.16 m/s

0= (14.16)^2 + 2a(0.018)
    a= 200.5 / -0.036
    a= -5,569.4 m/s^2

850 kg * -5569.4 = Fnet

Fnet = 4,734,027.78 N
    (this is 2 sig figs right)?

Did I do this right? If I did, why exactly do I receive -0.036?(I just multiply 0.018 but I don't really understand why.)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    Your answer has 2 decimal places. Two sig figs would be [tex]4.7 * 10^6 N[/tex]. That's probably what they're looking for. You dont' get the negative value from multiplying, that came from solving your equation for "a."

[tex]V_o^2=-2a_x\Delta x[/tex]

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    Oh ok thanks. I forgot about that notation.

Ok, even without the negative value, the final answer should still be the same right?(positive)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Oct 1, 2011 #4
    No, it should be negative because if you're taking the direction of the initial velocity to be in the +x direction (which you are of course) the acceleration is in the opposite (negative) direction because it is bringing the car to a stop. For the force, you wrote:

850 kg * -5569.4 = Fnet

This is correct, but you have to keep the negative when you multiply. You're multiplying a negative and a postive, the result is [tex]-4.7*10^6 N[/tex]

6. Oct 1, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook