Net Force Question? Find Formula to Calculate Daughter's Experience

In summary, the daughter experiences a net force of 37.9N downward when the father pulls the mother with a force of 100N while she is holding onto her daughter who weighs 35.5kg. This is found by adding the horizontal force of 100N from the father and the downward force of m*g from gravity.
xflasn1p3rx
Question is:
A mother weighing 58.2kg is holding onto the hand of her daughter who weighs 35.5kg. If the father grabs the hand of the mother and pulls with a force of 100N, how much net force does the daughter experience?

Iv'e been looking through my Physics formula and can't even find anything about net force...
would anyone by chance know a formula I could use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Net force is the sum of all forces affecting the daughter. The father is pulling horizontally I assume and so the mother pulls the daughter with same force assuming she doesn't stretch out first and then there's gravity exerting a downward force of m*g.

So add the two forces together in a vector fashion to get the answer.

The only force is 100N though?
Do I add the weight of both the daughter and mother then do what with the force?
I'm sorry for the trouble and confusion.

figured it out.
thanks for your help.

xflasn1p3rx said:
figured it out.
thanks for your help.

so what answer did you get?

37.9N downward

xflasn1p3rx said:
37.9N downward

well think about that for a bit, does that make sense?

If the mom is holding the daughter and the dad yanks on the mom, what's going to happen to the daughter?

If what you say is true, and she experiences a net force of 37.9N downwards, then she's going to accelerate into the ground.

Does that make sense?

1. What is Net Force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate Net Force?

To calculate net force, you need to first determine the individual forces acting on the object. Then, using vector addition, add up the forces in the same direction and subtract any forces in the opposite direction. The resulting sum is the net force.

3. What is the formula for calculating Net Force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the object.

4. What is the significance of Net Force?

Net force is significant because it determines the motion of an object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How is the formula for Net Force related to calculating my daughter's experience?

The formula for calculating net force is not directly related to calculating your daughter's experience. It is a mathematical equation used to determine the overall force acting on an object. However, it can be applied in various situations, including calculating the forces experienced by your daughter in different activities or scenarios.