Solving Net-Force Question: 20 kg Crate, F = 200 N

• Thread starter Emperor
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. To solve a net-force question, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, determine their magnitudes and directions, and then use the formula Fnet = ma to calculate the net force. The direction of the net force is determined by the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object. The net force will be in the direction of the resultant vector. The units for net force are Newtons (N) because force is measured in Newtons and net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. Yes, the
Emperor

Homework Statement

A 20 kg crate is lifted by an upward force of 200 N. The crate's upward acceleration is:

Homework Equations

F = ma

a = F ÷ m

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't for the life of me find the answer to this question (which is supposedly .2 m/s^2). I don't know how to get an answer like that, the best I can come up with is 10 m/s^2 using the formula above. Help will be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the crate?

ehild

1. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you solve a net-force question?

To solve a net-force question, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, determine their magnitudes and directions, and then use the formula Fnet = ma to calculate the net force.

3. How do you determine the direction of the net force?

The direction of the net force is determined by the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object. The net force will be in the direction of the resultant vector.

4. What are the units for net force?

The units for net force are Newtons (N). This is because force is measured in Newtons and net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object.

5. Can the net force on an object be zero?

Yes, the net force on an object can be zero if all the forces acting on the object are balanced and equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This means that the object will either be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.