Calculate Average Net Force of 20g Bullet Striking Wood

In summary, a bullet with a mass of 20 g strikes a fixed block of wood at a speed of 320m/s, embedding itself into the block and penetrating to a depth of 6.0cm. The average net force acting on the bullet while it is being brought to rest can be calculated using the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that work is equal to the change in kinetic energy. By setting the final velocity of the bullet to 0, the net force can be solved for using the formula F = (1/2m(v2^2 - v1^2))/(/\d). In this case, the net force is equal to 1.7 x 10^4, with the initial speed
MsHomework
A bullet of mass 20 g strickes a fixed block of wood at a speed of 320m/s. The embeds itself into the block of wood, penetrating to a depth of 6.0cm. Calculate the average net force acting on the bullet while it is being brought to rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
The block will stop all of the force applied by the bullet; when it just enters the block, the force is equal to that of the force of the bullet, when it stops there is no force. So the average force would be the average of those two forces.

How do I find that force?

xhhux said:
The block will stop all of the force applied by the bullet; when it just enters the block, the force is equal to that of the force of the bullet, when it stops there is no force. So the average force would be the average of those two forces.
What is the force of the bullet? By your reasoning, the average force = initial force/2. Why would that be? You seem to be mixing up average velocity with average force.

(Instantaneous) Force = dp/dt = mdv/dt; Average force =?

AM

Well this is a question from a worksheet and it does give the answer, but my teacher wants us to show how we got there! The answer is 1.7 x 10^4. Also How would I find the initial force using those information?

You could apply the Work-Energy Theorem ...

Can you tell me what it is? I don't really remember it!

bf240d906ff97b33fc3e60f2508ab671.png

And work can be calculated with the following formula:
37ea4bb0175ac2a293b4385626a4810c.png

See if you can put those two together ...

Last edited by a moderator:
What do I substitute the energies with, since I only have a speed of 320m/s? Do sub. that? And the 1/2m(v(2)^2 - v(1)^2 , I don't have v(1)^2!

d is for distance right?

The only unknown is the net force. Read the question again, it says that it is being brought to rest. What does that indicated about the final velocity of the bullet?

And yes, d is distance, in meters.

How do I find the F in W= F*d? Sorry I am over thinking this question! And I am panicking since I still have more physics homework to do!

The work-energy theorem states that work is equal to the change in kinetic energy. However, we also know that work is equal to the net force multiplied by the distance. Therefore:

F/\d = 1/2m(v2^2 - v1^2).

To solve for the net force, just divide by the distance.

F = (1/2m(V2^2 - v1^2))/(/\d)

But since the final velocity is zero:

F = (1/2m(-v1^2))/(/\d).

So make sure all the units are correct, substitute and done.

OMG...YOU ARE THE BEST! Even though i don't know you! THANKS A BUNCH. Can you also check out my other post. I haven't gotten any help for that...!

Wait what is v1?

The initial speed, before it hits the block. 320m/s.

Oh ok.

1. How do you calculate the average net force of a 20g bullet striking wood?

The average net force can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the time it takes for the bullet to come to a stop. This can be represented by the equation Favg = (m * Δv) / Δt, where m is the mass of the bullet, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time it takes for the bullet to stop.

2. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How do you determine the mass of a 20g bullet?

The mass of a 20g bullet can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure its weight. The weight will be equal to the mass, as mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object.

4. How does the type of wood affect the average net force of the bullet?

The type of wood can affect the average net force of the bullet by altering the amount of resistance the bullet experiences. For example, a softer wood may absorb more of the force, resulting in a lower average net force, while a harder wood may provide more resistance and result in a higher average net force.

5. What other factors can impact the average net force of a bullet striking wood?

The average net force of a bullet striking wood can also be affected by the angle at which the bullet hits the wood, the speed of the bullet, and the shape of the bullet. Additionally, the density and thickness of the wood can also play a role in the final average net force.