25N Sideways Force on 10kg Box: F = m*a Formula Error

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the formula for calculating the net force on a 10kg box that is being acted upon by a 25N sideways force and moving at a speed of 5 m/s. The initial formula used was F=m*a, but it was determined to be incorrect. The person being asked to find the net force realizes that the only force acting on the box is the 25N force and that there is no friction. It is also mentioned that if the box is moving with constant velocity, the net force is zero. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the net force is zero due to the box's constant velocity and no acceleration.
mystry4
If you have a 25N sideways force on a 10kg box that moves at speed of 5 m/s, what is the formula? I used F = m*a and got it wrong. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you being asked to find out?

I am being asked to find the net force on the box.

well, so far the only force acting on it is the 25 N,
Is there friction?

Also, if the box is moving with constant velocity, i.e. no acceleration, then the net force is zero.

Well that makes sense...and probably why a HINT was put in there (HINT: Think about this a bit before writing down any equations!)
So, I amanswering that the net force is O because of continual velocity and no acceleration.
Thank you for your help

What is the formula for calculating sideways force?

The formula for calculating sideways force is F = m*a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do I calculate the force on a 10kg box with a sideways acceleration of 25N?

To calculate the force on a 10kg box with a sideways acceleration of 25N, you would use the formula F = m*a. Plug in the values of 10kg for mass and 25N for acceleration, and you will get a force of 250N.

What could cause an error in the F = m*a formula for calculating sideways force?

There are a few possible causes for an error in the F = m*a formula. One could be incorrect units, such as using kilograms instead of Newtons for mass. Another could be using the wrong value for acceleration. Additionally, human error in calculations could also lead to an error in the formula.

Can the F = m*a formula be used for any type of force calculation?

No, the F = m*a formula is specifically for calculating the force of an object with a constant acceleration. It cannot be used for other types of forces, such as friction or tension.

How can I ensure accurate calculations when using the F = m*a formula for sideways force?

To ensure accurate calculations when using the F = m*a formula, it is important to double check the units of mass and acceleration, as well as the values used for each. It is also helpful to use a calculator or computer program for more precise calculations.