Find the Net Force on Ball A from Balls B & C

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three balls and their respective distances from point A. The equation F=Gm1m2/r^2 is mentioned and the attempt at a solution involves calculating the net force on A by subtracting the sum of each force acting on it. The final clarification is made that ball C is to the left of A and ball B is to the right in the given picture.
bigtymer8700

Homework Statement

Each ball weighs 3.00 kg A is 10cm from C to the left and B is 40cm to the right of A

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ive tried adding the forces that each ball apply to A and subtracting it. i know each has its own force acting on A but don't know how to figure it out with 3 objects

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is a vector. You have two force acting in opposite directions on ball A. How would you work out the net force then?

Well you already know that each force is acting in the x direction and with gravity the farther away the less the gravitational force so wouldn't you just have to subtract the sum of each force?

F=6.67e-11 (3kg) (3kg))/.04^2 i calculated that for the force of B on A and i got 3.75e-7N

for force of C on A i got 6.003e-7N. Now each of these balls is exerting its own force on A but one is stronger than the other because of the distance so isn't the net force just calculated by the difference?

If you have to calculate the net force on A then both balls B and C are to the right of it and the forces will add. I was a bit unsure which ball you were wanting to calculate the net force on. The description of the system was a bit ambiguous as well.

In the picture given to me Ball C is to the left of A and ball B is to the right they are on different sides sorry if the description was hazy.

1. What is the net force?

The net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all individual forces acting on that object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the net force?

To calculate the net force, you must first determine the individual forces acting on the object. Next, you add or subtract these forces depending on their direction. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger force. The resulting value is the net force.

3. What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration. Additionally, the direction of the net force and the direction of the acceleration are always the same.

4. How does the net force on an object affect its motion?

The net force acting on an object determines its motion. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How does the net force on an object change when additional forces are added?

When additional forces are added, the net force on an object will change. This can result in a change in the object's motion, depending on the magnitude and direction of the new net force. If the new forces are acting in the same direction as the existing forces, the net force will increase. If the new forces are acting in the opposite direction, the net force will decrease.