What is the arrangement of net gravitational force on a particle labeled m?

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of the magnitude of the net gravitational force on a particle labeled m. The participants have different opinions on the correct arrangement, with one suggesting A B D C and the other suggesting A D B C. The conversation also includes a calculation involving distances and forces.
duoshock
Hi,

I attached a diagram... to find out the arrangement of the magnitude of the net gravitational force on the particle labeled m from the smallest to the biggest.

my answer is A B D C, anyone had a different way of looking at it?
could you explain? some of my friends said it was A D B C... =|

Thanks in advance
duoshock

Attachments

• netgravitatationalforce.JPG
    netgravitatationalforce.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
In B, there is one mass at distance d, the other at distance D.
In D, there is one mass at distance d, the other at distance [itex]\sqrt{d^2+ D^2}[/itex].

The force from the mass at distance D will be greater than the force from the mass a distance [itex]\sqrt{d^2+ D^2}[/itex] so the net force in B is greater than in D.

i give D a value of 50 and d a value of 1 and my result is square root of (d^2 + D^2) is more than D. My maths isn't very good. Could you help to explain?

Thanks

1. What is net gravitational force?

Net gravitational force is the overall force of attraction between two objects due to their masses and the distance between them. It is a vector quantity and is always directed towards the center of mass of the objects.

2. How is net gravitational force calculated?

The net gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

3. What factors affect net gravitational force?

The net gravitational force between two objects is affected by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses and the smaller the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

4. What is the inverse square law in relation to net gravitational force?

The inverse square law states that the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the net gravitational force between them decreases.

5. How does net gravitational force affect the motion of objects?

Net gravitational force is responsible for the motion of objects in space. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets. It also plays a role in the motion of objects on Earth, such as the tides and the trajectory of projectiles.