1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Gravitational Force

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    The masses and coordinates of three particles are as follows: 20.0 kg, (0.50, 1.00) m; 309.0 kg, (-1.00, -1.00) m; 18.0 kg, (0.00, -0.50) m. What is the gravitational force on a 20.0 kg sphere located at the origin due to the other spheres, magnitude and direction? Give the direction as an angle in degrees counter clockwise with respect to the the + x-axis.

I have split the forces into x and y components using the F = (Gm1m2)/r^2 equation.
    So for my x-forces I get:
    F = (309)(20)G/2 * (1/sqrt(2)) ----> this is a negative force pulling down
    F = (20)(20)G/1.25 * (.5/sqrt(1.25))

y-forces:
    F = (309)(20)G/2 * (1/sqrt(2)) ----> this is a negative force pulling down
    F = (18)(20)G/.25 ----> this is a negative force pulling down
    F = (20)(20)G/1.25 * (1/sqrt(1.25))

Then I took the sum of the Xs squared and the sum of the Ys squared and then the square root to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. I got 2.612E-7 N.
    Then for the degrees I took the inverse tan ( sum of the Ys/sum of the Xs) +180 deg to get it in the third quadrant for a result of 282.2 deg. Somewhere I've done something wrong because I'm getting this incorrect, where did I make a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi singinglupine! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
    Sorry, but I don't understand what formula you've applied here. :redface:

Use mMr/r3 :smile:

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thanks for the welcome :) I used the law of universal gravitation where
    F = GmM/r2 and G is the gravitational force constant. The parts with something else multiplied by the force are the x, cos(θ) and y, sin(θ) components. I used pythagorean theorem to figure out the length of the hypotenuse, so that cos would be adjacent/hypotenuse and sin opposite/hypotenuse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook