Calculating Net Gravitational Force Between Multiple Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the net gravitational force exerted by two objects on a third object. The formula used is F= Gm1m2/r^2, with G being the gravitational constant. The correct value for G is 6.674 x 10^-11N (m/kg)^2. The net force can be calculated by finding the individual forces between the objects and then adding them together as vectors.
phyhelpme
Confused :(

Homework Statement

A 200 kg object and a 500 kg object are separated by 0.500 m. Find the net gravitational force exerted by these objects on a 50.0 kg object placed midway between them.

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't spoonfeed homework here. Show your attempts.

I have:
F= Gm1m2/r^2
F= G(50.0kg)(500kg-200kg)/0.25m^2 =240000N toward 500kg

I feel that I have it setup right but for some reason when I calculate I get 2400000 which seems wrong to me.

phyhelpme said:
I have:
F= Gm1m2/r^2
F= G(50.0kg)(500kg-200kg)/0.25m^2 =240000N toward 500kg

I feel that I have it setup right but for some reason when I calculate I get 2400000 which seems wrong to me.

What value have you used for G?

DaveC426913 said:
What value have you used for G?

9.8 m/s^2

phyhelpme said:
9.8 m/s^2

That's little g. You want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Any advice on how I find it?

Your working the same problem?

qwerty11 said:
Any advice on how I find it?

The easiest way, I would think, would be to click on the link DaveC provided under 'big G'. :smile:

dotman said:
The easiest way, I would think, would be to click on the link DaveC provided under 'big G'. :smile:

If it was a snake it would have bitten me.

So G is 6.674 x 10^-11N (m/kg)^2 correct?

That would mean my equation is:
F= 6.674 x 10^-11(50.0kg)(500kg-200kg)/0.25m^2 =1.60176 x 10^-5N toward 500kg?

Last edited:
No, you don't subtract the masses.

Calculate the forces separately, between the 200&50 kg masses, and then between the 500&50 kg masses. Then use vector addidtion to add these two forces together. Important: add the forces as vectors, don't just add the two numbers together.

1. What is net gravitational force?

Net gravitational force is the overall force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. It is the combination of all the individual gravitational forces acting between the objects.

2. How is net gravitational force calculated?

The net gravitational force can be calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the net gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect net gravitational force?

The net gravitational force is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the greater the net gravitational force. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the net gravitational force.

4. How does net gravitational force impact the motion of objects?

Net gravitational force is responsible for the motion of objects in the universe. It keeps planets in orbit around the sun, causes objects to fall towards the Earth, and holds galaxies together. Without net gravitational force, objects would not have the motion we observe in the universe.

5. Can net gravitational force be negative?

Yes, net gravitational force can be negative. This means that the force between two objects is repelling instead of attracting. This can occur when the objects have opposite charges or when one object has a negative mass, which is purely theoretical and has not been observed in nature.