1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Ionic Equation clarification

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    I obtained a net ionic equn' as follows

Ba +2 (aq) + SO4 2- (aq) ----> BaSO4 (s)

Now I need clarification for the following question and my answer to it.

What is the max amount of solid product that could be obtained by reacting one mole of each reactant?

I believe that b/c of the mole ratio being 1:1 between both reactants and the product, so the max amount of solid product would be 1 mol, or 1 g.

Is this reasonable to state?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ----> BaSO4 (s) is a one to one ratio (i.e. 1:1). So one mole of each reactant will produce one mole of the solid, if the reaction is 100% efficient. However, it will not produce one gram of the solid. Remember, the mole is not the same as mass. One mole of a substance contains 6.23 x 1023 molecules of the substance but one gram of a substance can contain different numbers of moles.

Remember that: Molar Mass / Mr (Units: g mol-1) = Mass / m (Units: g) / Moles / mol (Units mole)

So one mole of Carbon will have a mass of 12 grams but one mole of Hydrogen gas will have a mass of 2g.

So on the whole, what you were saying was true. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So was it true, or not ;)

kara: 1 mole, but not 1 gram.

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    Yer, yer........ very funny... :biggrin: It was almost all true. It was just the little
    that was not. So............

1 mole of BaSO4 is approx. 233 grams. Happy? :tongue2:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?