Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Net Ionic Equation clarification

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    I obtained a net ionic equn' as follows

Ba +2 (aq) + SO4 2- (aq) ----> BaSO4 (s)

Now I need clarification for the following question and my answer to it.

What is the max amount of solid product that could be obtained by reacting one mole of each reactant?

I believe that b/c of the mole ratio being 1:1 between both reactants and the product, so the max amount of solid product would be 1 mol, or 1 g.

Is this reasonable to state?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    Ba2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) ----> BaSO4 (s) is a one to one ratio (i.e. 1:1). So one mole of each reactant will produce one mole of the solid, if the reaction is 100% efficient. However, it will not produce one gram of the solid. Remember, the mole is not the same as mass. One mole of a substance contains 6.23 x 1023 molecules of the substance but one gram of a substance can contain different numbers of moles.

Remember that: Molar Mass / Mr (Units: g mol-1) = Mass / m (Units: g) / Moles / mol (Units mole)

So one mole of Carbon will have a mass of 12 grams but one mole of Hydrogen gas will have a mass of 2g.

So on the whole, what you were saying was true. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So was it true, or not ;)

kara: 1 mole, but not 1 gram.

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    Yer, yer........ very funny... :biggrin: It was almost all true. It was just the little
    that was not. So............

1 mole of BaSO4 is approx. 233 grams. Happy? :tongue2:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook