Mastering Net Ionic Equations: Tips and Common Mistakes to Avoid

• Thread starter jhs1st
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, Net ionic equations are equations that exclude spectator ions. Potassium permanganate solution is added to an acidic solution of hydrogen peroxide, but I hit the wall after that. I'm guessing that the product is HMnO4, but I'm not confident at all. If you are having problems, just write out the reaction. Then re-write the reaction describing it in ionic form. Then re-write it again taking out any ion that has not changed from the reactant to product stages.
jhs1st
Net Ionic Equations! Please help me out!

i'm having a hard time with writing net inoic equations and here are some sample problems with the answers I came up with.

Please look over them and if somethings wrong, please correct the errors teach me how to fix it.

1. A strip of copper is immersed in dilute nitric acid

Cu + HNO3 -> Cu(NO3)2

2. Excess concentrated ammonia solution is added to a suspension of silver chloride.

Ag+ + OH- -> AgOH

3. Solution of tri-potassium phosphate and zinc nitrate are mixed

3Zn+ + (PO4)^-3 -> Zn3PO4

4. Concentrated hydrochloric acid is added to solid manganese (II) sulfide.
Mn^+2 + Cl2- -> MnCl2

and the rest of them below, I had no clue on how to even start

1. Potassium permanganate solution is added to an acidic solution of hydrogen peroxide

I got KMnO4 + H2O2 -> KMnO4 + H + O2^-2
but i hit the wall right here...
I'm guessing that the product is HMnO4 but I'm not confident at all.

2. Excess chlorine gas is passed over hot iron filings

Cl2 + Fe^2+ ? sorry..but i couldn't figure this one out either

3. Water is added to a sample of solid magnesium nitride

4. Excess sulfur dioxide gas is bubbled thru a dilute solution of potassium hydroxide

p.s. thank you so much for reading this. But if you have an extra time, would you give some tips on writing an ionic equations? or list some most common mistakes that students make when they first learn this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't look over it, but I will say this:

Net ionic equations are equations stripped of spectator ions. Meaning any ion that does react into something different than from what it started out into (water, precipitate, redox), then it is not put into your equation.

My guess is that you are, like me, only in the beginning stages of Chem, so you are only going to run into instances of precipitates, redox reactions, compound ions, and the creation of water (nuetralization and combustion are the only two big reactions that create water from what I've learned so far).

If you are having problems, just write out the reaction. Then re-write the reaction describing it in ionic form. Then re-write it again taking out any ion that has not changed from the reactant to product stages.

You allready post this once...

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the species that are involved in a chemical reaction. It eliminates the spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction, to focus on the essential elements and their charges.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a regular chemical equation?

A regular chemical equation shows all the reactants and products involved in a reaction, including the spectator ions. A net ionic equation, on the other hand, only shows the species that are directly involved in the chemical reaction.

3. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Writing net ionic equations allows us to focus on the key elements and their charges involved in a chemical reaction. It helps us understand the underlying principles of the reaction and predict the products formed.

4. How do you determine spectator ions in a chemical reaction?

Spectator ions are determined by comparing the reactants and products in a chemical equation. Any ions that appear on both sides of the equation and do not undergo a change in oxidation state are considered spectator ions.

5. Can net ionic equations be used to balance equations?

Yes, net ionic equations can be used to balance equations. However, it is important to remember that the number of atoms and charges must be balanced on both sides of the equation, even after eliminating the spectator ions.