1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Ionic Equations problem

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    Ok here is the problem:
    2NaI (aq) + Cl2 (g) ----- 2NaCl (aq) + I2 (s)

For the net ionic I got:
    2I- (aq) + Cl2 (g) ------- 2Cl- (aq) + I2 (s)

Is this correct? Most chlorides and iodides are soluble, but one states (g) and the other states (s) so does that mean they are not soluble?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2
    Im pretty sure that it is just 2Na + Cl_2 ------> 2NaCl because the Iodine ions are the spectators.
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    Please someone can you clairify this problem for me? I dont think Stevedye56 is correct on this?
  5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

You are right, Stevedye56 is wrong. Note that while most chloriDes are soluble, chloriNe is not (well, it is soluble to some extent, but you may assume here it is not). Same goes for iodiNe and iodiDes.
  6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    Ah sorry about that, for some reason the past week i have not been reading things right even for simple problems in chemistry. Sorry again about any confusion i may have caused.
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6

Net ionic equations only involve ions that are (aq) on one side of the equation and a different form on the other side, i.e. (s),(l),(g). For example, your Na+ is dissolved on both sides. It never comes out of solution, so it just stays as ionic Na+.

However, this doesn't mean that nothing has changed about the Na+. If you filtered out the I2(s) and then distilled the salt, you would be left with NaCl, not NaI.
  8. Oct 4, 2006 #7

Staff: Mentor

How does it change Na+? :wink:
  9. Oct 5, 2006 #8
    answer should be

2I- --- 2I (s) because the Chloride cancel out (they're spectator ions)

correct me if im wrong
  10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    Dont you mean I_2. They both would cancel it comes down to the solubility rules. The higher one always prevails
  11. Oct 5, 2006 #10
    my bad haha i didn't notice typing that out :redface:
  12. Oct 5, 2006 #11

Didnt mean any offense i just wasnt sure if you mistyped o:) :wink:
  13. Oct 5, 2006 #12
    it's no problem...exact answers are key haha
  14. Oct 5, 2006 #13
    Yes, the definately are in Chemistry.:smile:
  15. Oct 6, 2006 #14
    Actually according to my chemistry professor My answer was correct, becasue the Cl2(g) is not aqueous so the chloides do not cancel out. Thanks Borek for the correct answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?