Net ionic equations with no ions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net ionic equation for the reaction between LiOH (aq) and HBr (aq), as well as the solubility of LiBr. The participants discuss the presence of ions in the reaction and suggest looking up the chapter on Ionic Equations in a physical chemistry textbook for guidance. They also mention the importance of considering cross-ionic reactions and the need to include H2O in the equation.
Tooren
Just a short question:
Now the molecular equation between LiOH (aq) with HBr (aq) is (I presume):
LiOH (aq) + HBr (aq) ----> LiBr (aq) + H(2)O (l)
Now I'm confused about the net ionic, since there are no ions.
Would it just be:
OH(-) + H(+) ---> H(2)O?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the solubility of LiBr?

Think of a solution of NaCl. What are the ions?

Additionally, I recommend you look up the chapter on Ionic Equations in your favorite physical chemistry text. I like Atkins, but any decent text will show you how to go about this.

Astronuc has shown a good way, in aqueous solutions we don't have LiBr on hand, this is in another form. And look for cross-ionic reactions to give the final product. You wrote (aq) for three compounds, but not for H2O, this may give you a cue.

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that are involved in a chemical reaction. This means that spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction, are not included in the equation.

2. Why do we use net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are used to simplify and clarify chemical reactions by showing only the essential components. This helps to better understand the underlying chemistry and allows for easier analysis and calculations.

3. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, start by writing the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the spectator ions and cross them out. The remaining species are the ones that participate in the reaction and should be included in the net ionic equation.

4. Can a net ionic equation have no ions?

Yes, it is possible for a net ionic equation to have no ions. This can happen when all of the reactants and products are either non-ionic compounds or are present in their fully ionized forms.

5. How do you balance a net ionic equation?

The same rules for balancing chemical equations apply to net ionic equations. Start by making sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. Then, balance the charges by adding or subtracting electrons as needed.