Trouble writing Net ionic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in writing net ionic equations, specifically for the dissolution of CO2 in water and the reaction of ammonia gas with oxygen gas. The speaker seeks clarification on the ions involved and the process of determining them. It is suggested to use hydrogen carbonate for the first problem and it is mentioned that net ionic equations are associated with reactions in aqueous solutions. It is recommended to read up on acidic oxides and to consider net ionic equations when dealing with reactions in water solvent.
dnt
having a little trouble writing net ionic equations:

1. the equation when you dissolve C02 (carbon dioxide) in water. I can't figure out the ions because is there such a thing as a C+4 ion? or do you use a carbonate ion?

2. the net ionic equation when ammonia gas reacts with oxygen gas when heated to make nitrogen monoxide and water vapor. i believe the overall equation is:

NH3 + O2 --> NO + H2O

but again, i cannot find any ions. can someone help me out on these quesitons? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Go for hydrogen carbonate.

2. No ions, only overall reaction.

ok then how do you know when there are ions and there are not?

and how do you know which ions there will be? does it just take practice and recognition or is there an actual way to determine the ions?

net ionic equations are associated with reactions in aqueous solutions you'll need to read the text to obtain a general understanding of how to write net ionic equations (considering covalent reactions, precipitation reactions, other reactions that occur in aqueous solutions etc), I haven't encoutered a net ionic equation application to other types of reactions. For your first problem, you'll need to read up on acidic oxides, try searching the term in the index of your text

...I for one, don't have the time to give an entire tutorial on the subject although others here might be generous enough to do so. But again, you'll want to consider net ionic equations when dealing with reactions in water solvent.

1. Why do I need to write net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are important because they show the actual chemical reactions that occur in a solution. They help to simplify and clarify the overall reaction and can be used to determine the stoichiometry of the reaction.

2. What is the difference between a net ionic equation and a regular chemical equation?

A net ionic equation only includes the species that are directly involved in the reaction, while a regular chemical equation includes all the species present in the reaction, even those that do not participate in the reaction.

3. How do I know which species are spectator ions in a reaction?

Spectator ions are those that are present in the reaction but do not undergo any chemical change. To identify spectator ions, you can use a solubility table to determine which ions are soluble and therefore, do not participate in the reaction.

4. What are the steps for writing a net ionic equation?

The steps for writing a net ionic equation are:
1. Write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction.
2. Identify and write the state of each species (solid, liquid, gas, aqueous).
3. Determine the solubility of each aqueous species and identify any spectator ions.
4. Write the net ionic equation by eliminating the spectator ions from the molecular equation.

5. Can you give an example of writing a net ionic equation?

Sure, let's say we have the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and sodium chloride (NaCl) in aqueous solution. The molecular equation would be written as: AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) → AgCl(s) + NaNO3(aq). After determining the solubility of each species, we can remove the spectator ions (Na+ and NO3-) and write the net ionic equation as: Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) → AgCl(s).