1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net ionic equations

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1

dnt

having a little trouble writing net ionic equations:

1. the equation when you dissolve C02 (carbon dioxide) in water. I cant figure out the ions because is there such a thing as a C+4 ion? or do you use a carbonate ion?

2. the net ionic equation when ammonia gas reacts with oxygen gas when heated to make nitrogen monoxide and water vapor. i believe the overall equation is:

NH3 + O2 --> NO + H2O

but again, i cannot find any ions. can someone help me out on these quesitons? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

1. Go for hydrogen carbonate.

2. No ions, only overall reaction.

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3

dnt

ok then how do you know when there are ions and there are not?

and how do you know which ions there will be? does it just take practice and recognition or is there an actual way to determine the ions?

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

net ionic equations are associated with reactions in aqueous solutions you'll need to read the text to obtain a general understanding of how to write net ionic equations (considering covalent reactions, precipitation reactions, other reactions that occur in aqueous solutions etc), I haven't encoutered a net ionic equation application to other types of reactions. For your first problem, you'll need to read up on acidic oxides, try searching the term in the index of your text

...I for one, don't have the time to give an entire tutorial on the subject although others here might be generous enough to do so. But again, you'll want to consider net ionic equations when dealing with reactions in water solvent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?