Net Magnetic Field at the Center of a Loop and X Distance Away From a Wire

In summary, the conversation is about finding the radius of a loop given the current in the loop and the net magnetic field at the center of the loop. The attempt at a solution involved using the right hand rule and the equations for straight wire and loop magnetic fields, but the student is unsure if their work is correct.
BornSurvivor

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/553004_1959186995753_1725123128_934768_456680196_n.jpg
In case the words are too small:
I2= 6.61I1
The net magnetic field at center of loop is 0.
I'm looking for the radius of the loop

Homework Equations

for straight wire: B=(u0*I)/(2[itex]\pi[/itex]*r)
for loop: B= (u0*I)/(2*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since the two magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other: √(B12+B22)=0
I tried to find H in terms of R by using the right hand rule. I2/I1=(B2*H*[itex]\pi[/itex])/(B1*R) so H= -(6.61R/[itex]\pi[/itex])
But now I'm stuck, and I don't know if my work so far is even right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BornSurvivor! :smile:

(pleeeeeease don't post such wide images! :redface:)
BornSurvivor said:
So, since the two magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other …

No, a loop current's magnetic field goes along the axis of the loop,

and a straight line current's magnetic field goes in loops around the line. :wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating the net magnetic field at the center of a loop?

The formula for calculating the net magnetic field at the center of a loop is B = (μ0 * I * N) / (2 * R), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, N is the number of turns in the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.

2. How does changing the distance X away from a wire affect the net magnetic field at the center of a loop?

The net magnetic field at the center of a loop is inversely proportional to the distance X away from a wire. This means that as the distance X increases, the net magnetic field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the net magnetic field at the center of a loop and X distance away from a wire?

The direction of the net magnetic field at the center of a loop and X distance away from a wire is perpendicular to the plane of the loop and tangent to the wire. This means that it forms a circular path around the wire.

4. How does the current flowing through the loop affect the net magnetic field at the center of the loop?

The net magnetic field at the center of a loop is directly proportional to the current flowing through the loop. This means that as the current increases, the net magnetic field also increases.

5. What is the significance of the number of turns in a loop in calculating the net magnetic field at the center?

The number of turns in a loop, denoted by N, is a key factor in calculating the net magnetic field at the center. As the number of turns increases, the net magnetic field also increases proportionally. This is because each turn contributes to the overall magnetic field, resulting in a stronger net magnetic field at the center of the loop.