1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Magnetic Field of current carrying wires:

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4547/walker4ech22pr054.jpg [Broken]

Two long, straight wires are oriented perpendicular to the page, as shown in the figure . The current in one wire is I-1 = 3.0 A, pointing into the page, and the current in the other wire is I-2 = 4.0 A, pointing out of the page.

Question: Find the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic field at point P.

2. Relevant equations

Equations: B = u0*I/2*pi*r - where u0 = 4*pi * 10^-7 ( T * m/A), I = current, and r = distance from wire

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the magnetic field of both the wires at point P by using the above equation and the distance for I-1 as .05 meters and distance (r) for I-2 by using Pythagorean theorem .05^2 + .05^2 = c^2, etc - came out to about .071 meters.

After finding the two magnetic fields, I see that the magnetic fields are pointing in the opposite direction at point P, so I subtract them, but that is the wrong answer for the net magnetic field.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted