Calculating Net Magnetic Field for 3 Parallel Conductors: RHR Method Explained"

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net magnetic field exerted by two parallel conductors on a third conductor, using the right-hand rule. The direction of the magnetic fields is also mentioned, with one conductor having a field into the page and the other having a field out of the page. The formula for calculating the net magnetic field is also mentioned, with a possible correction for the distance between the conductors. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the arrangement of the conductors and the direction of the fields.
EvaBugs
I have a small question about net magnetic field.

If I have 3 straight conductors that are parallel where
-the current is to the left in conductor #3 (and situated at a distance b from #2)
-the current is to the right in conductor #2. (and is situated at a distance a from #1)
I have to find the net magnetic field exerted by #2 and #3 on the first conductor.

Using RHR I found that:
-conductor #3 , the magnetic field is directed out of the page;
-Conductor #2, the magnetic field is into the page.

To find the net magnetic field, should I use B= KI2/(b+a) - KI2/a

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the conductors arranged in the order of number? #2 between #1 and #3? And was it supposed to say

-the current is to the left in conductor #3 (and situated at a distance b from #1)

and

I have to find the net magnetic force exerted by #2 and #3 on the first conductor

Last edited:
Yes, it's supposed to say that. They are placed on top of the other.

If I am reading it right, the denominator a+b should be b itself. Are you looking for just the magnetic field, or the force on wire #1?

For the net B on wire #1

-the current is to the left in conductor #3 (and situated at a distance b from #2)
-the current is to the right in conductor #2. (and is situated at a distance a from #1)

EvaBugs said:
For the net B on wire #1

Then the b+a should be correct

If #1 is on top, then your field directions are reversed. If #1 is on the bottom you have them right

Yes, it is at the bottom

Thank you

1. What is the RHR method used for when calculating net magnetic field for 3 parallel conductors?

The RHR (Right-Hand Rule) method is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor. In the context of calculating net magnetic field for 3 parallel conductors, it is used to determine the direction of the individual magnetic fields produced by each conductor and how they contribute to the overall net magnetic field.

2. How do you use the RHR method to calculate the net magnetic field for 3 parallel conductors?

To use the RHR method, start by pointing your right-hand thumb in the direction of the current in the first conductor. Then, curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field produced by that conductor. Repeat this process for the remaining two conductors. Finally, add the individual magnetic fields together to determine the net magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the net magnetic field for 3 parallel conductors?

The magnitude of the net magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the current in each conductor, the distance between the conductors, and the angle between the conductors.

4. Can the RHR method be applied to calculate net magnetic field for more than 3 parallel conductors?

Yes, the RHR method can be applied to calculate the net magnetic field for any number of parallel conductors. The process is the same, where the individual magnetic fields produced by each conductor are added together to determine the net magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to using the RHR method to calculate net magnetic field for 3 parallel conductors?

The RHR method assumes that the current in each conductor is constant and that the conductors are infinitely long. Therefore, it may not accurately calculate the net magnetic field for cases where these assumptions do not hold true. In these cases, more advanced methods may need to be used.