Net Neutrality wins minor battle in long war

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor Net
In summary, the FCC is considering imposing sanctions on cable company Comcast, which has been accused of blocking peer-to-peer traffic. Consumers may be nearing a victory in keeping the Internet open.
Astronuc said:
I'm definitely out of step with the modern world, or perhaps it's the modern culture. I'd much rather hear the other's voice.

The again - before the telephone - people would have to write letters. We still write by email, in this case, on forums.

Nevertheless, I do prefer verbal conversation, especially when the other person has a pleasant voice. :approve:

I think you have it all wrong Astro.

Texting is essentially enabling us to get a hold of each other whenever we want, and allowing us to get together consistently.

In the past, if you had plans to hang out on the weekend and couldn't get a hold of the person on the weekend because the phones busy or whatever reason, than you never get to hear that person's voice since you never got to hang out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
people actually spoke to each other and used "voice' as a means of communication.
This is a myth. There never was such a thing :uhh:
Last time I used it was friday morning

Astronuc said:
I agree with the face-to-face, but most of my oldest friends live far away (several hundred miles to several thousand miles), so I must be satisfied to talk by phone rather than do face-to-face.

But with the wonders of modern technology, you can now do video chats online, and, even better, it doesn't cost anything on top of your current internet service. It's still better than talking on the phone because at least I can see the person I'm talking with. My parents are in Vietnam, and we use online video conferencing to talk, rather than telephones.

Off-topic, sorry.

OrbitalPower said:
(I'm a registered Green).
But will you be voting Green? They've announced their nominee, as I'm sure you know by now: it's Cynthia McKinney! :ugh:

Gokul43201 said:
Off-topic, sorry.

But will you be voting Green? They've announced their nominee, as I'm sure you know by now: it's Cynthia McKinney! :ugh:

I probably will. Generally, I don't vote for major party candidates. Plus, I live in a state that is "safe Republican" and is guaranteed to go for McCain, so I generally don't have the "will my vote lead to an even greater evil?" issue as other would-be third party voters. I don't know much about McKinney, with the exception of her police officer incident, but from what I've read on the GP website it seems she's close enough to the Green's core key values.

I do think they could have gone with a less controversial candidate, but really Obama seems to me to be more of the same esp. after his recent backtracking on numerous issues.

My other option would be to consider the "Libertarian" candidate, although Barr has a track record far less Libertarian than McKinney is Green, plus, I have major philosophical differences with the libertarians, esp in regards to the issue of corporate regulation like in this thread.

With as much money as Comcast makes why don't they start installing Gigabit lines like China has...?