1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net resistance

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The diagram represents a regular hexagon. The resistances are r each
    Find the effective resistance across points A & B

http://tinypic.com/r/153n39d/7

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A resistance less wire passes through one of the diagonals. so can we remove the wire and then solve.
    i tried but i didnt get the answer.
    do none of the points have same potential

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What exactly do you mean by "remove the wire"? You can't just erase it because that would create more nodes than the original circuit has (all points connected by unbroken wire conductor belong to same node).

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Show what you did.

I assume that when you "remove the wire" you mean that points connected by the wire can be joined. Do that and look for combinations of resistors in series or parallel that can be replaced by their equivalent. Step by step you can simplify this arrangement.

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Try redrawing the circuit after you collapse the horizontal line into a point. [edit: what Doc said :redface:]

6. Oct 16, 2011 #5
    Ok !! so what do I do?
    I cant find any points having same potential. how will i simplify the circuit?

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6

Doc Al

:confused: Points connected by a wire have the same potential.

8. Oct 16, 2011 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook