1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Torque calculation

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    Calculate the net torque about point O for the two forces applied as in the figure View Figure . The rod and both forces are in the plane of the page. Take positive torques to be counterclockwise.

A image is here to show the problem

What i did
    12Nsin(30)*(2m)-(8N*3m)
    or if you like this better
    F2sin(theta)*d-(F1*d)
    however this isnt working should i not be neglecting the y component of F2 or do i have the angle wrong....i am confused any help is appreciated.

it appears my image is taking forever to get approval so i will try and explain the problem.
    there is a rod where the axis of rotation is on the left end of it
    2 meters from this axis is a force going up and to the left, at a 30 degree angle. with a magnitude of 12N (F2)
    Another force is a total of 5 meters from the point of rotation and is vertical with a magnitude of 8N (F1)
    nevermind i turned out to be right...i just made a dumb error.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2
    i'm confused as to how to come up with an answer, trajan22. did you happen to get -12 ..clockwise for the answer??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?