1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net torque of uniform disk

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Net torque of uniform disk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform disk with a mass of 34.8 kg and a radius of 0.32 m is free to rotate about a frictionless axle. Forces of 90.0 N and 125 N are applied to the disk, as the drawing indicates.

What is the net torque produced by the two forces?

2. Relevant equations
    Torque = rFsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the equation above...125(0.32)sin90 - 90(0.32)sin90 = 11.2 N*m which is wrong. I know this question is trivial, but I'm pretty frustrated at this point...any help would be great.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming the information given is correct, I agree with you that the magnitude of the torque is 11.2 Nm. My physics text usually considered counterclockwise as positive, with clockwise as the negative direction, so I actually got -11.2Nm. This isn't the problem right? If not I would check that you have the correct information.
  4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    It's the correct information, and the answer is -11.2. Thanks.
  5. Oct 22, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jun 16, 2009 #5
    Re: [SOLVED] Net torque of uniform disk

What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the disk?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?