1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net torque

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the net torque on the pulley about the axle if T1 = 18N and T2 = 34N?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Torque is really confusing me. I have no ideas as to how to start this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2
    You're gonna have to show some work, but to "push" you along... could you get started if there were only 1 force?
  4. Oct 13, 2007 #3
    I know that torque = r(Ft), but I don't know if that's the right equation to use.
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    I'm guessing that Ft is the force that is perpendicular to the radius. Is that what you mean? If so, that is the right equation.

To give a longer answer than you might want,
    Torque = force x radius x sine of the angle between the force and the radius.
    In many cases, the angle is 90 degrees (it certainly is in your picture) and sin(90) = 1, so torque = force x radius in those cases.

So, now can you calculate the two torques, ONE AT A TIME, including whether it goes clockwise (CW) or counterclockwise (CCW)?
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    I figured it out before looking at your last post. Thanks though!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?