Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net view

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    What is the equivalent of dos prompt's 'net view' in linux?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2
    Do you mean for seeing computers on an MS network? Or for seeing computers on a TCP/IP network?

Keep in mind, MS's "network technology" is not. Its closed proprietary stuff. That said, samba supplies the ability to access MS network shares from a linux machine (as well as sharing files or printers with MS machines).
  4. Dec 13, 2005 #3
    So there's not an equivalent? Like with net view you get a list of computer names regardless the os. I'm talking about over a tcp/ip network, atleast I think I am.
  5. Dec 13, 2005 #4
    Well for one I am not familiar with MS-DOS commands(I don't use any MS software on my own computers), however from what I find via google my impression was it only lists SMB hosts on a network, which would only include non-windows machines if they were running samba. Unless my impression is wrong, however looking at the sample outputs given on the net that seems to be right.

So, let me try not to be confusing (someone correct me if I make a mistake here).

When I said MS network vs TCP/IP network I wasn't very clear. by MS Network I meant specifically a network of windows machines potentially sharing files and printers. What you would see if you went into 'Network Places' in Explorer. These do communicate over TCP/IP with the SMB protocol. By TCP/IP network, I meant more simply just computers connected via ethernet and communicating via TCP/IP, independant of the SMB protocol. Hopefully that made sense.

Now if you just want to see all computers connected on a LAN to yours, there is no equivalent (that I know of). If you want to see the machines that are SMB hosts, which as I understand is what 'net view' does, then you would have to look into samba, and its bash utilities.
  6. Dec 14, 2005 #5
    Since you're not familiar dos commands, net view works like this

C:\>net view
    Server Name Remark

\\BLAIR Blair's Computer
    The command completed successfully.

This is after connecting to someone's wireless network in my apartment building. There are currently two computers connected. Mine and the owners.
  7. Dec 14, 2005 #6

Yeah, that's like the sample output. That part I knew. However, what I'm not familiar with is what the command actually does, whether it probes for SMB hostss, or if it actually probes for network hosts. It looks like it probes for SMB hosts. Again, you have to realize that MS does not like to follow the rest of the world in how basic things are done. Like ASCII.
  8. Dec 14, 2005 #7
    So TCP/IP and netbios are closed ?????

you choice of terminology is confusing at the least. There is no such thing as a M$ network v TCP/IP. it would be more correct to say somthing like IPX V IP or OSI v IPX.

net view polls the master browser and gives you a list of computer names (SMB names).

SMB works at the session layer of the IP protocol suit.

In linux all you need to do is query your SMB master browser, and you will get the same result as net view. This will only work on a local subnet unless you have configured a WINS server or an equivalent, as netbios/smb is a broadcast technology and wont be forwarded by a router, (unless you have configured your router to be a bridge also)
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  9. Dec 14, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus

'net view' is part of the samba package but i'm not sure what the equivalent command it.

'netstat' shows you all the network connections, but won't show you the samba shares.
  10. Dec 15, 2005 #9
    I was under the impression that Netbios was. Obviously TCP/IP is not.

I've always been poor at communicating. I'm referring to SMB shares, which are presented to windows users as a network vs. just a LAN, no smb shares.

My problem is I'm trying to make what I say make sense both to me, to you, and to those people who only know windows and don't know squat about how networks work. And unfortunately, my communication skills seem to be coming up short on that count.

Which is what I thought. It will not tell you anything about *nix computers not running Samba then, which is the point I was trying to make. If you want to get a list of SMB names, then there is prolly a command in the Samba package. If you want to get a list of just hosts on a LAN, whether or not they're running Samba, net view does not do that.

Yeah, I know.

Speaking of which, how can I configure my router(a linux box with an iptables script) to do that?
  11. Dec 15, 2005 #10

perhaps you ment netbieu which is a M$ development of Netbios

Forward port 138 and 138 to your relay agent where ever it is.. I doubt you can do this correct with a *nix box.. Basically you need to tunnel a broadcast inside a unicast packet and send it to a relay agent/wins server..
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?