Net Work of car on a flat road

In summary, when a car travels at a constant speed on a flat road, there is no net work being done. This is because there is no resulting force acting on the car, according to Newton's First Law. While the car may still be doing work against friction, it is not considered net work in this scenario.
alwysnforevr002
How much net work is being done when a car is traveling at a constant speed on a flat road?

I think there is not net work done.

:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of Newtons first law and the definition of work.

Okay so Newtons First Law states:

An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

However, that doesn't say anything about the work being done on the car simply that it stays in motion unless acted upon by another force.

What is the definition of work?

W = Fs x s

Please point out where the resulting force is acting in this example.

I looked up work as well and i think i understand now

The actual question is:

In which of the following scenarios is no net work done?
A car accelerates down a hill.
A car travels at constant speed on a flat road.
A car decelerates on a flat road.
A car decelerates as it travels up a hill.

I chose B , A car travels at constant speed on a flat road because there is no work upon the car as it travels along a flat road. The force supplied by the car is an upward force and the displacement of the car is a horizontal displacement. As such, the angle between the force and the displacement is 90 degrees. If the work done by the car on the road were to be calculated, then the results would be 0.

Am i anywhere close?

A car traveling at constant velocity along a flat road does no work against gravity -- however, it still does quite a bit of work against friction.

- Warren

So i am right?

As you have learned from Newton's First Law, a body will be still or move with a constant speed in a straigh line if no resulting forces is acting upon it.

As the care moves in a straight line with constant speed you can deduct that there is no resulting force.

Without a resulting force, it does indeed not have a net work (see the above given equation).

Does that help you understand the situation? Remember that there is a difference between getting the answer and understanding it ;)

haha..thank you. and yes that does help me understand it much better. It was the part about the resultant where i was getting confused.

1. What is the net work of a car on a flat road?

The net work of a car on a flat road is the total amount of energy that is required to move the car from one point to another on a flat surface. It takes into account both the forces acting on the car and the distance it travels.

2. How is the net work of a car on a flat road calculated?

The net work of a car on a flat road is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the car by the distance it travels. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is the net work, F is the force, and d is the distance traveled.

3. What factors affect the net work of a car on a flat road?

The net work of a car on a flat road is affected by several factors, including the mass of the car, the force applied to it, and the distance it travels. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role in determining the net work.

4. Is the net work of a car on a flat road always positive?

No, the net work of a car on a flat road can be either positive or negative. A positive net work indicates that the car is gaining energy, while a negative net work means that the car is losing energy. For example, when a car is braking, the net work is negative as the car is losing energy to slow down.

5. How does the net work of a car on a flat road relate to its speed?

The net work of a car on a flat road is directly related to its speed. The faster a car is traveling, the more net work is required to maintain that speed. This is because a greater force is needed to overcome air resistance and maintain the car's forward motion.