Net Work Problem, Rotational Motion, need help

A ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. She then draws in her arms to her body and her moment of intertia is .88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s. Determine the network she did to increase her angular speed?

So i first needed to solve for the initial momentum , which i did using equation IW=I2W2, and i got .43kg m 2, then to get the network i used w=(final)IW^2 - (initial) IW^2

i got 518J, i am not to sure if i did this right. Can anyone please tell me if my math is correct ? Also for angular speed, in the work calculation i would need to get that to rad/s if im correct so multiply by 2pi ?

Thanks Guys

A ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. She then draws in her arms to her body and her moment of intertia is .88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s. Determine the network she did to increase her angular speed?

So i first needed to solve for the initial momentum , which i did using equation IW=I2W2, and i got .43kg m 2, then to get the network i used w=(final)IW^2 - (initial) IW^2

i got 518J, i am not to sure if i did this right. Can anyone please tell me if my math is correct ? Also for angular speed, in the work calculation i would need to get that to rad/s if im correct so multiply by 2pi ?

Thanks Guys

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

1. Rotational KE = (1/2)Iw^2, not Iw^2.

2. You must convert to rad/s from rev/s.

Her initial moment of inertia must have been larger surely?
If I use [tex]I\omega = I_2 \omega_2[/tex] I get that it is indeed larger.

As a consequence the work you compute is also too large

your computation of the inital intertial moment is also wrong

ok, yes i understand what i did wrong on intial momentum problem. I should of used 1/2I1W1=1/2I2W2. But, how do i answer the work done?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving