1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Work

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    The drawing shows a boat being pulled by two locomotives through a canal of length 2.39 km. The tension in each cable is 4.17E4 N, and = 16.7°. What is the net work done on the boat by the two locomotives?

first I used W=fd... i multiplied 4.17E4 * 2 = 8.34E4 to get the total tension in each string. then to get the total work i multiplied that by 2390 (m) = 1.99E8... i divided that by two to get the work in each string = 9.97E7... then i realized that would be the tension in each string if the string was perpendicular to the boat so i found the hypotenuse using cos(16.7)=9.97E7/H that gave me 1.04E8. in order to get the net work i multiplied that by two becuase there are two strings and i got 2.08E8 J. that answer is wrong and i can't figure out why... can someone help please?! thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Your approach seems correct. You may have a math mistake somewhere. I got 1.91E8 J.
  4. Oct 17, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Looks like you divided by cos(16.7) instead of multiplying by it :smile:

I got the same as Hotvette.
  5. Oct 17, 2005 #4
    but if i am trying to find the hypotenuse of the triangle... shouldn't i divide instead of multiply?
  6. Oct 17, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

The tension on the cable represents the hypotenuse. What you want is the component in the direction of travel.
  7. Oct 17, 2005 #6
    oh thank you!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?