Find NetCDF Plotting Tools - Easy Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a tool for debugging devices using SNMP data and the use of netCDF data structures for this purpose. The individual is looking for a package that can generate plots from netCDF data through a command line interface and the suggestion of using the Python package Matplotlib is given.
vortmax
I've been having a hard time finding an appropriate forum for this question let alone put it in the proper board...so feel free to move it if need be.

I am writing a script that polls a specified device on a fixed interval using SNMP and archives the results. The goal is to be able to debug a device by pulling important stats on a regular interval over a period of time. Essentially the same thing the cacti project does, but with simpler and with more flexibility.

Anyway, I've been using round robin databases built with rrdtool because of it's built in graphing functionality, but I'm hitting the limits of it. I really need to use a data structure such as netCDF that allows each data object to be multi-dimensional, have independent resolution and have headers that define details (like units).

This shouldn't be hard as there are perl extensions for netCDF. However I'm looking at the plotting aspect of it. With rrdtool, it's literally one command to generate a graph of the data. Is anyone aware of a package that will generate plot in a standard image format from netcdf through a cli? My only other option is to roll my own with GD (something I don't look forward to).

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you are working on a valuable tool for debugging devices using SNMP data.

In terms of your question about generating plots from netCDF data through a command line interface, I would recommend looking into the Python package Matplotlib. It is a popular and powerful plotting library that has support for netCDF data through the netCDF4-python package. Matplotlib has a command line interface that allows for easy generation of plots in various image formats. Additionally, there are many tutorials and examples available online for using Matplotlib with netCDF data.

I hope this helps in your project and good luck with your research!

I understand the importance of having the right tools for data analysis and visualization. It can be frustrating to search for a specific tool and not find a suitable solution.

In this case, I would recommend looking into the Panoply software developed by NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. It is a free, cross-platform application that allows for easy visualization of netCDF and other data formats. It also has the capability to create customizable plots with various options for labeling and formatting.

Another option is the NCVIEW software, which is also free and open-source. It allows for viewing and plotting of netCDF data in both 2D and 3D formats.

I hope these suggestions help in finding an easy solution for your netCDF plotting needs. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is NetCDF?

NetCDF (Network Common Data Form) is a file format commonly used in scientific data to store multidimensional data such as temperature, rainfall, and ocean currents. It is widely used in the Earth sciences, climate modeling, and remote sensing.

2. Why is NetCDF important for data visualization?

NetCDF provides a standardized and flexible way to store and organize complex scientific data, making it easier to analyze and visualize. It also allows for efficient storage and retrieval of large datasets, making it ideal for handling the vast amounts of data generated in scientific research.

3. What are some commonly used NetCDF plotting tools?

Some popular NetCDF plotting tools include Panoply, NCView, and NCL (NCAR Command Language). These tools offer a user-friendly interface for visualizing NetCDF data and offer a wide range of customization options for creating high-quality plots.

4. Is there an easy solution for finding NetCDF plotting tools?

Yes, there are several easy solutions for finding NetCDF plotting tools. One option is to search for "NetCDF plotting tools" online, which will provide a list of various tools and their features. Another option is to consult with fellow scientists or research groups who may have experience with different NetCDF plotting tools.

5. How can I choose the best NetCDF plotting tool for my data?

The best NetCDF plotting tool for your data will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some factors to consider when choosing a tool include the type and complexity of your data, the level of customization you require, and the availability of support and resources for the tool. It may be helpful to try out a few different tools before deciding on the best one for your needs.