Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Netflix price increase

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, a single 50% bump for the same service! If they plan to shift to a purely online format and to phase out the DVD rentals, I can live with the transition. But if they play games with online availability to force DVD rentals, I may be forced to start Redboxing it. I don't care about the money but I won't be manipulated. I don't like the smell of this.

I would add that I tried Hulu Plus and saw no advantage over the free Hulu service. As near as I could tell, it's a scam.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

*stops tracking Netflix stock*

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    But they say "unlimited", which would make sense of the double fee if you take both, which is a different service that what they have been offering.

Streaming is so much easier -- for them too, hence the lower price for streaming only. Let's hope that it really does allow one to stream anything and everything in their inventory.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4
    I only use the streaming service so I'm not overly concerned right now. Of course, it's difficult to predict how this will play out. One would suspect that DVDs will eventually be eliminated in favor of streaming, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Right now, streaming is just an extra service on top of their core business. If it were simply a question of the cost of shipping vs. bandwidth, it would be a no-brainer. However, you have to take into account their licensing fees for online content which varies from deal to deal. Right now, they can't afford the costs of licensing first-run content for streaming. What content will they be able to offer in the future? At what cost? How will competitive services affect things? I love Netflix, but how long will I be able to stream unlimited content for $8/month? How much will I be paying next year? What will I be able to watch? I'm very curious to see how things will go.

Hulu Plus is a joke. It's Hulu, plus you get to give us your money.

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My parents don't do streaming, so I think they'll see a nice drop in fee. My email calls for a small increase, and I'll have to decide if I want to drop down from 3 discs at a time. This is why it is improper to characterize it as a general price increase. They are restructuring their fees. So some will see an increase and others a decrease. I'm interested to see what the net effect of this will be (and for my cell phone bill with the death of unlimited data plans....).

It is also illogical to expect a company not to charge money for new services and silly to get angry when they do.

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I already have unlimited service. I get no new services for 150% of the price.

8. Jul 14, 2011 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As usual, what are you talking about?

9. Jul 14, 2011 #8

russ_watters

You do realize that netflix hasnt always had streaming video, right? When they first started offering streaming movies, how much of a price increase did you see for that new service? Did you complain that they were undercharging you?

10. Jul 14, 2011 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got the same email as you Ivan. I've got 1 Blu-Ray out at a time plus streaming so my price jumped up by a pretty significant amount. Still, I want to keep Blu-Ray rentals because they're amazing quality, and I want to keep streaming because we use it all the time...

It sucks it's getting more expensive, but it's still a lot cheaper than cable TV so I'm keeping it :grumpy:

11. Jul 14, 2011 #10
    I'm definitely getting my money's worth at $8.00. If that price doubled, I wouldn't like it but I'd still be getting a good deal compared to other services.

12. Jul 14, 2011 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True that Blu-Ray is great - at what, 780p I think, the streaming HD is relatively low resolution.

I have been somewhat disappointed in the number of older movies and shows that are only available for streaming for a limited period of time. I don't have a problem with the new stuff being DVD only, though I'd gladly pay a premium charge for streaming current releases, but what bothers me is the throttling of the online selection for older releases. Just give me what I want when I want it! I'll pay whatever it's worth. This is all about immediate gratification. :biggrin: In fact, given the choice between 780p streaming and BR, I'll take the streaming option almost every time, with rare exceptions.

Something else is that they often skip episodes for TV series. That is really annoying when you find something you really like.

13. Jul 14, 2011 #12
    I also am on the 3 dvd plan - it is only a $4 increase I think, which I don't mind too much. From a purely numbers standpoint (and the one I see tossed around so much), the 9.99 to 15.99 jump looks the worst.

For my money, netflix is still the best value. I also have had Amazon Prime for a long time and they now include some movies and tv show streaming with that service. I should probably take a look at that again. Last I looked, they didn't have any where near the selection of streaming that Netflix has. It will be interesting as streaming content competitors emerge.

Netflix has for a long time been publicly saying that the mail service of DVD delivery is getting increasingly expensive. I think this is the main driving force behind the change in fee structure. Has anyone heard any justification for the restructure?

14. Jul 14, 2011 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So going back to DirecTV isn't an option? :devil:

If it is, $100 for you and $100 for me. :biggrin:

15. Jul 14, 2011 #14
    Streaming videos are used mostly by the poor and college students as a cheap alternative to cable. It has grown so popular in recent years and Netflix has expanded the number of movies they offer so dramatically the ISPs have begun seriously complaining about the additional load on their networks. It only makes sense that Netflix would now start to charge separately for the service knowing damned well the people who use it the most have few real alternatives and the rest couldn't care less.

16. Jul 14, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The internet isn't quite ready for prime time yet. We still have Direct TV but I would love to see a DT.com streaming service. The problem I have is that I have to rebroadcast DTV up to the house from my office. There is no HD equipment available to do this. What I use, the only thing I could find, was actually developed for NASA, for the space station, and they don't have any orders from NASA for HD. :biggrin: So if we want HD it will have to be from online services.

As it is I've started using icons on the desktop as a channel selector [we have a dedicated TV computer]. PBS, Hulu, Netflix, links to specific shows that we're currently watching, and favorites like Meet the Press. That's almost as good as DTV but not quite yet.

The cool thing is that we can now get internet service up to 40 Mbs up and down. Only a short time ago we were limited to 1.8 Mbs.

17. Jul 14, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I can't use streaming video. My DSL connection is so crappy and unreliable that I can barely watch a low-res YouTube video sometimes.

18. Jul 14, 2011 #17

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting...Netflix apparently didn't feel the need to actually send me an email about this at all, and yet when I check my billing under my account information, I see right there is a warning that the fee will increase to $15.99 on Sept 1.

I'm not sure what I will do about this. I don't watch a whole lot of movies, and part of the reason we went to Netflix is that if you watch maybe 3-4 movies a month, you've significantly beat the prices offered by local video rental places like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Now it looks like I will have to watch 4 movies just to match the price to rent 4 movies from Blockbuster. So there is no longer any price advantage, because I honestly can't imagine having the time to watch more than 4 movies in an average month.

The one advantage Netflix still has is that their DVDs always seem to be in good condition with no scratches, whereas we had a significant problem with scratched disks from local places, causing us to have to skip whole scenes of a movie. I know you can technically bring the movie back and ask for another copy, but that's a real bother, and usually ALL copies are scratched anyway.

19. Jul 14, 2011 #18

Evo

Shouldn't streaming be a la carte? Why do you have to commit at all? Why not just pay per movie like cable on demand? Or is that an option with Netflix?

20. Jul 14, 2011 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, all streaming is available for a flat fee. And like I said, I would be glad to pay a premium charge for the few new movies we care about watching.

21. Jul 14, 2011 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried Netflix? They are actually pretty forgiving and will spend a long time buffering if needed. We find it to be much more reliable than any other online service esp including You Tube. I've seen our service drop to a trickle due to server problems, and Netflix still worked. But you do need about 5 Mbs for their HD to kick in.

We ran Netflix on DSL for a couple of years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook