Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to install Netscape to view internet pages with Java2 applets and I have also IE in my computer. The problem with Netscape is that it cannot open any internet page while IE can. I don't have any hint what forbids it to access the Internet?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

T@P

IE is basically a virus, i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt let netscape use the internet.

the day microsoft creates a product that doesnt suck is the day they make a vacume cleaner. if i were you i would un install IE

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

T@P, you can't uninstall IE.

ramollari, do you have proxy settings?

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4
    Yes my PC is behind a proxy firewall, but it should allow the download of html pages. By the way, Firefox Moxilla also works fine.

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    If firefox is working, why use netscape? firefox should be fine.

Of course i'm biased. I love firefox.

And IE is a virus. I hate it.

7. Jan 11, 2005 #6
    I need Netscape to view Java 2 applets, not supported by IE and by Firefox either.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  8. Jan 11, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Isn't java backwards compatible? I would think.

9. Jan 13, 2005 #8
    Yes Java is backwards compatible, so if the browser can read Java 2, it can also read Java 1 applets. But the opposite isn't true.

10. Jan 13, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

And aren't we at J2SE 5.0? So what is the problem?

11. Jan 13, 2005 #10
    j2sdk 1.5 I would rather think. j2sdk 1.2 and up is considered as Java 2 because it introduced many extension libraries, such as swing and jce. However there is a browser war and technology war. Microsoft doesn't want to promote the use of Java technology, but ActiveX instead so no version of IE can support Java 2. As far as I know, only Netscape 5.0 and up does. I really have trouble with IE when I try to view some academic demonstration applets written in Java 2.

12. Jan 13, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It was my understanding that J2SE is the browser plugin while J2SDK is the software development kit. All the sdk provides is the libraries and such for java, but not the actual plugin for the browsers. I could be wrong, but try it out anyway.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?