Setup Remote Access to Home Network with XP Home SP2

In summary, the conversation involves a person looking for ways to remotely access user accounts on two computers connected to a wireless network. They have discovered that remote desktop is only available on XP Professional, and are asking for alternatives. The other person suggests using VNC, specifically RealVNC or UltraVNC, to achieve remote access. They also mention using an ssh tunnel for added security. The first person thanks them and plans to try it out upon returning from vacation.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a simple wireless network set-up at home. I have a PC connected to a printer and various other peripherals and a laptop. Both machines are connected wireless to a router which in turn is connected to the Internet. Both systems are running Win XP Home SP2. I want to be able to access user accounts on both machines via the network, i.e. work on one computer while sitting at the other. I have looked into remote desktop, but have discovered that it is only available when one machine has XP Prof. I was wandering if anyone knew of anyways of remote desk topping without have a copy of XP Prof. Any help would be much appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try one of the flavors of VNC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC
(RealVNC, UltravNC, TightVNC).

You can even run VNC from your Palm device.
http://www.btinternet.com/%7Eharakan/PalmVNC/colour_full.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good rob, thanks a lot. Is there a flavour you would recommend? I'm not exactly a network guru and security is paramount for me.

I use http://www.ultravnc.com/ because of the "mirror" video driver. Other flavors may have this as well.

http://www.realvnc.com/ might be the best for commercial strength.

Each has additional security features that could be installed. I just use an ssh tunnel.

Thanks again. I'll give it a bash when I get back off my hols :biggrin:

I use realvnc, but it it is probably a little to slow to be a viable remote desktop. It works ok for some tasks, though.

1. How do I set up remote access to my home network with Windows XP Home SP2?

To set up remote access to your home network, follow these steps:

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
  2. Go to the Control Panel and click on "Network Connections."
  3. Right-click on your internet connection and select "Properties."
  4. Click on the "Advanced" tab and check the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  6. Next, go to the "Remote" tab and check the box next to "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer."
  7. Click "OK" to save the changes.
  8. Finally, make note of your computer's IP address and give it to anyone who needs to access your home network remotely.

2. Can I set up remote access to my home network with Windows XP Home SP2 using a wireless connection?

Yes, you can set up remote access to your home network using a wireless connection. However, you will need to make sure your wireless router is properly configured and that your computer is connected to the wireless network before following the steps outlined in the previous answer.

3. Is it safe to set up remote access to my home network with Windows XP Home SP2?

Remote access can be safe if proper security measures are taken. You should always use a strong password for your remote access connection and limit the number of users who can remotely access your network. It is also recommended to enable additional security measures, such as a firewall, to protect your network.

4. How do I access my home network remotely after setting it up with Windows XP Home SP2?

To access your home network remotely, you will need to use a remote desktop connection. On the computer you want to access your home network from, go to the "Run" dialog box and type in "mstsc" to open the remote desktop connection window. Enter the IP address of your home network computer and click "Connect." You may be prompted to enter a username and password for the remote computer.

5. Can I access my home network remotely from a different operating system?

Yes, you can access your home network remotely from a different operating system as long as it has a remote desktop connection program. For example, you can use the "Remote Desktop Connection" program on a Windows computer or the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app on a Mac. Just make sure you have the correct IP address and login information for your home network computer.