Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Network circuit design?

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    network circuit design???

I was wondering if there is a schematic or if anyone knows of a way to delay the send and/or the recieve of a network cable. Preferable seperate circuits. For example can I control how fast people on my network recieve but not control the send. May be in the wrong place but i really need help on this one. Thanks
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2
    Well the quick answer is no. The reason being is that the send and receive speeds need to be syncornized. With different send and receive speed there would be a lot of lost data due to one computer sending at a faster rate than the receiving computer can receive.
  4. Jun 22, 2006 #3

Depends on the implementation of your particular network. But for most consumer networks on the market today, I would say the answer is no. However, this is something that can be controlled in software. For example: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO.html
  5. Jun 22, 2006 #4

Oh ya, the relevant google searches are
    Network traffic management
    Network traffic shaping
  6. Jun 22, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you're not going to get the desired behavior by modifying the network at the physical layer. In fact, you'll just screw everything up by even trying such a thing. Instead, as es said, you should be looking at software-level or router-level solutions. Many routers can limit bandwidth.

- Warren
  7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

My friend is an expert in networking technology: he said "Use a proxy-server: that's what they're for."
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?