Are Network Firewalls Ruining Your Internet Experience?

• Thread starter BLUE_CHIP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of slow internet connection due to network firewalls and the recent change in domain settings at the speaker's school. They also mention using an HTTP Tunnel to bypass the restrictions and the difficulty in finding open ports. The conversation ends with someone asking for solutions but being warned against getting in trouble.
BLUE_CHIP
AAAAAAHHHH! :mad:

The aogony of network firewalls, It took me 5 mins to load up this page on a connection that is supposedly 1M. All because my school finds the need to check every single packet that is sent to and from my computer.

Up until a week ago everything was fine because I was authenticating myself on a workgroup as supposed to on the normal school domain. This meant that "WebMartial" was not active and i brilliant broadband access.

Then came the new head of computing. he saw it all, all of the corruption and filesharing and he thought hed to something about it.

He pressed the reset button on the Server. WebMartial reasserted itself defaultly over the entire network, Workgroup and Domain. Everything was Dashed.

Previously I had been using an HTTP Tunnel to create a Proxy which my MSN messenger could use. It was rerouting through port 4463, as soon as the server was reset all port were closed and so MSN was useless.

Now I am having to run my internet through WebMartial. Its Agonising. Its going to take 10 minutes just ot post this.

Im working on a solution but Trying to find which ports are open is proving difficult. Port scanning doesn't work, all i need is a way to be able to use the internet properly.

If anyone here can give me any ideas, it would be wonderful.

Yours BLUE_CHIP

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure Port Scanning doesn't work? Which port scanning program are you using?

There's many things you could do. Most of which you'll probably get in trouble for.

Sorry, this isn't appropriate.

1. What is a network firewall?

A network firewall is a security system designed to protect an internal computer network from external threats. It acts as a barrier between a trusted internal network and an untrusted external network, such as the internet.

2. How does a network firewall work?

A network firewall works by monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic and using a set of rules to determine whether to allow or block the traffic. These rules can be based on factors such as IP addresses, ports, and protocols.

3. Are network firewalls necessary?

Yes, network firewalls are necessary for protecting sensitive data and preventing unauthorized access to a network. Without a firewall, a network is vulnerable to cyber attacks and malware.

4. Can network firewalls affect internet speed?

Yes, network firewalls can potentially slow down internet speed. This is because the firewall has to inspect and filter all incoming and outgoing traffic, which can cause a delay in data transmission. However, newer firewall technologies are designed to minimize this impact on internet speed.

5. How can I improve my internet experience while using a network firewall?

To improve your internet experience while using a network firewall, you can try adjusting the firewall settings to allow certain types of traffic that are necessary for your internet use. Additionally, using a high-quality firewall and regularly updating it can help prevent any potential issues with internet speed.