Understanding Pressure Drop in Parallel Piping Systems

In summary: I got confused.In summary, the question is about network flow pressure drop and whether it is equal across the supply and return header in a piping system with parallel components or if it is the inverse of the sum of the inverses. Using numerical values, the pressure difference from pipe A to pipe E is 15 psi, not 5 psi as in an electrical circuit. Pressure drop is analogous to voltage drop, not resistance.
abiehl
I have a question about network flow pressure drop. In a piping system with several identical components in parallel, is the pressure drop across the supply and return header equal to the pressure drop across one of the components? Or is it the inverse of the sum of the inverses? To use numbers for clarity, if you have a supply pipe, A, which feeds pipes B, C, and D, which have components each with a pressure drop of 15 psi, and which feed pipe E, is the pressure difference from pipe A to pipe E 15 psi or 1/(1/15+1/15+1/15) = 5psi? A pressure drop of 15 psi makes more sense to me, but I thought that pipe networks were analogous to electrical circuits such that pressure drop is analogous to resistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please mention the dimensions of the pipes and their orientations in relation to one another.

abiehl said:
I have a question about network flow pressure drop. In a piping system with several identical components in parallel, is the pressure drop across the supply and return header equal to the pressure drop across one of the components? Or is it the inverse of the sum of the inverses? To use numbers for clarity, if you have a supply pipe, A, which feeds pipes B, C, and D, which have components each with a pressure drop of 15 psi, and which feed pipe E, is the pressure difference from pipe A to pipe E 15 psi or 1/(1/15+1/15+1/15) = 5psi? A pressure drop of 15 psi makes more sense to me, but I thought that pipe networks were analogous to electrical circuits such that pressure drop is analogous to resistance.

Hey according to me the pressure difference would be 15 psi and not as electrical circuits.Pressure between any two points is always same irrespective of how many parallel paths or any different cross sections it has got in between those two points

Last edited:
Yes the pressure drop would be 15 psi as you suspected. Your analogy is slightly off. Pressure drop is analogous to voltage drop and not resistance.

Last edited:
:approve:
Yeah.Thanks for correcting me.

What is network flow pressure drop?

Network flow pressure drop is a measure of the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid, such as air or water, flows through a network of pipes or channels. It is typically caused by friction between the fluid and the walls of the pipes, as well as any restrictions or changes in direction within the network.

Why is network flow pressure drop important?

Network flow pressure drop is important because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of a fluid system. Higher pressure drops can lead to decreased flow rates, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to equipment. Understanding and managing pressure drop is crucial for maintaining optimal system operation.

How is network flow pressure drop calculated?

The pressure drop in a network flow system can be calculated using various equations, depending on the specific geometry and properties of the system. The most commonly used equation is the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as fluid density, viscosity, pipe diameter, and roughness. Other equations, such as the Hazen-Williams equation, may be used for specific types of flow systems.

What factors affect network flow pressure drop?

There are several factors that can affect network flow pressure drop, including fluid properties (density, viscosity, temperature), pipe characteristics (diameter, roughness), flow rate, and system geometry (length, number of fittings or bends). Any changes in these factors can alter the pressure drop in the system.

How can network flow pressure drop be minimized?

To minimize network flow pressure drop, the most effective approach is to design the system with larger pipe diameters, smoother inner surfaces, and fewer bends and restrictions. Additionally, using fluids with lower viscosity and selecting the appropriate flow rate can also help reduce pressure drop. Proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the system can also prevent build-up and further decrease pressure drop.