Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Network question

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    I just set up a 10baseT LAN between 2 pcs with an ethernet crossover cable. It operates at 10Mbps, half duplex. I know the ethernet card in this pc supports 100baseTX, and I'm pretty sure the NIC in the other pc does as well.
    I'd like to set them to 100baseTX and full duplex to try to get a 200Mbps connection. Is there anything I should know about doing this? I don't share the internet connection, it's dial up and extremely slow.
    I should also note that the 10baseT connection was automatically set because both NICs were set to autodetect by default.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    Usually the cards will negotiate the best speed when set to auto.

Is it a cable you bought or made yourself?

It could be a bad cable i suppose, but not likely if you bought it.

You could try forcing the higher speeds by going into the properties of each card. Might work, might not.

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3
    always buy cat5 unless you are doing some crazy specialty networking (like 10Gb ethernet).

5. Nov 10, 2005 #4
    A cat-5 cable would require a hub or router though.

6. Nov 10, 2005 #5
    I think I was a little misunderstood. I have a 10Mbps network running from NIC to NIC that is actively running on this pc as I type. I was just wondering if there would be any unforseen problems with switching it over to 100Mbps.
    However, I already tried switching to 100Mbps and it didn't work. I'm just gonna have to mess with when I have the time and motivation, or try switching to full duplex so I can get a 20Mbps connection.

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6
    You dont get 200Mps on full duplex, you get 100 in both directions, which can also get in half duplex, but you will have many collisions. If your Card supports 100 then you can use 100 no problems

As long as its a cross connect you wont need a Hub, and you definetly wont need a router.

Half Duplex is what you call simplex in telecoms, and uses 2 wires, Full duplex uses 4 wires (or 2 pairs), and thus you can send a recieve data on a different pair of wires and thus you dont have any collisions..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-duplex

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  8. Nov 11, 2005 #7
    a cat5 crossover cable would not require a hub.

9. Nov 11, 2005 #8
    Thank you anttech. That cleared up the main thing I was wondering about. As for the other, I'll figure it out myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?