Setup 100baseTX LAN: Tips and Considerations

• Thread starter Mudvaynelethaldosage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, you can set a 10Mbps network between two PCs with an ethernet crossover cable, but full duplex mode only allows for 100Mbps. Switching to 100Mbps didn't work, but you may be able to get a 20Mbps connection by switching to half duplex mode.
Mudvaynelethaldosage
I just set up a 10baseT LAN between 2 pcs with an ethernet crossover cable. It operates at 10Mbps, half duplex. I know the ethernet card in this pc supports 100baseTX, and I'm pretty sure the NIC in the other pc does as well.
I'd like to set them to 100baseTX and full duplex to try to get a 200Mbps connection. Is there anything I should know about doing this? I don't share the internet connection, it's dial up and extremely slow.
I should also note that the 10baseT connection was automatically set because both NICs were set to autodetect by default.
Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Usually the cards will negotiate the best speed when set to auto.

Is it a cable you bought or made yourself?

It could be a bad cable i suppose, but not likely if you bought it.

You could try forcing the higher speeds by going into the properties of each card. Might work, might not.

Mudvaynelethaldosage said:
I just set up a 10baseT LAN between 2 pcs with an ethernet crossover cable. It operates at 10Mbps, half duplex. I know the ethernet card in this pc supports 100baseTX, and I'm pretty sure the NIC in the other pc does as well.
I'd like to set them to 100baseTX and full duplex to try to get a 200Mbps connection. Is there anything I should know about doing this? I don't share the internet connection, it's dial up and extremely slow.
I should also note that the 10baseT connection was automatically set because both NICs were set to autodetect by default.
Thank you.

always buy cat5 unless you are doing some crazy specialty networking (like 10Gb ethernet).

ComputerGeek said:
always buy cat5 unless you are doing some crazy specialty networking (like 10Gb ethernet).

A cat-5 cable would require a hub or router though.

I think I was a little misunderstood. I have a 10Mbps network running from NIC to NIC that is actively running on this pc as I type. I was just wondering if there would be any unforseen problems with switching it over to 100Mbps.
However, I already tried switching to 100Mbps and it didn't work. I'm just going to have to mess with when I have the time and motivation, or try switching to full duplex so I can get a 20Mbps connection.

You don't get 200Mps on full duplex, you get 100 in both directions, which can also get in half duplex, but you will have many collisions. If your Card supports 100 then you can use 100 no problems

As long as its a cross connect you won't need a Hub, and you definately won't need a router.

Half Duplex is what you call simplex in telecoms, and uses 2 wires, Full duplex uses 4 wires (or 2 pairs), and thus you can send a receive data on a different pair of wires and thus you don't have any collisions..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-duplex

Last edited:
Mudvaynelethaldosage said:

a cat5 crossover cable would not require a hub.

Thank you anttech. That cleared up the main thing I was wondering about. As for the other, I'll figure it out myself.

1. What is a 100baseTX LAN?

A 100baseTX LAN is a type of local area network (LAN) that uses twisted pair copper cables and operates at a speed of 100 megabits per second. It is commonly used for connecting devices within a small geographic area, such as an office or home network.

2. What are some tips for setting up a 100baseTX LAN?

- Make sure you have the necessary hardware, including a router, Ethernet cables, and network interface cards (NICs).- Plan out the layout of your network and decide on the location of your devices.- Use quality Ethernet cables to ensure a stable and fast connection.- Configure your router and devices with appropriate IP addresses and subnet masks.- Test your network to ensure all devices are properly connected and communicating with each other.

3. Are there any considerations for setting up a 100baseTX LAN?

- Consider the distance limitations of twisted pair cables, which typically have a maximum length of 100 meters.- Take into account the number of devices you plan to connect to the network and ensure your router and network equipment can support them.- Consider the bandwidth requirements of your network and choose a suitable router and Ethernet cables to support it.- Keep in mind the security of your network and implement measures such as firewalls and password protection to protect against unauthorized access.

4. Can I upgrade my existing LAN to 100baseTX?

Yes, you can upgrade an existing LAN to 100baseTX by replacing your current network equipment with 100baseTX compatible devices, including a router, Ethernet cables, and NICs. However, keep in mind that the speed of your network will only be as fast as the slowest component, so it may be necessary to upgrade all components for optimal performance.

5. What are the advantages of using a 100baseTX LAN?

- Faster data transfer speeds compared to older LAN technologies.- Ability to support more devices and higher bandwidth requirements.- Use of standard twisted pair cables, which are affordable and widely available.- Easy to set up and maintain.- Compatible with most modern devices, including computers, printers, and other network devices.