Network Setup Help: Connecting 3 Computers to 2 IPs

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary: I think that your problem was that the switch was not configured to share an address with another computer. Assuming that you have 3 computers that are all connected to the internet (and have a router), you need to set up the switch so that it can share an address with one of the computers. You can do this by following these steps:1. On the switch, go to the "Wireless" tab and click on the "Wireless Networks" button.2. Click on the "Add" button and then enter the IP address of the computer that you want to share the address with.3. Click on the "
NeoDevin
My ISP gives me 2 IP addresses, but I have 3 computers to connect to the internet. I have a http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT310N/download" as well.

My current rig goes from the cable modem, to the switch, to my 2 current computers.

What I want is to connect the new computer directly to the internet using one of my IP addresses, and use the router to share the other IP address between my 2 existing computers. Ideally all 3 of the computers should be able to access each other via LAN, but this is not essential. Is this possible to set up with my current equipment, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Devin

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of router and switch do you have? My router has a page that looks like I could use to map what external IPs go to which internal ones. I don't think it's a very standard feature though.

Last edited:
I linked to the product pages for the router and switch that I have, click on the words in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that you connect directly - is this so it is available from outside ?

Assuming it is, and assuming the cable company only gives you one physical wire.

Cable box -> ethernet cable -> dumb switch port 1
Dumb switch port 2 -> externally visible computer
Dumb switch port 3 -> router (assuming it is also a NAT - which most home routers are)
NAT port 2 -> computer 2
NAT port 3 -> computer 3

The externally visible computer is vunerable to attacks, make sure it is well secured, patches upto date, unused ports disabled etc.

mgb_phys said:
Cable box -> ethernet cable -> dumb switch port 1
Dumb switch port 2 -> externally visible computer
Dumb switch port 3 -> router (assuming it is also a NAT - which most home routers are)
NAT port 2 -> computer 2
NAT port 3 -> computer 3

Thanks, I was thinking about it while working today and figured the same thing, I'll give it a try later tonight, hopefully everything will work properly.

Ok, so I decided to do things a little differently than that, and use 1 ip address for all three machines, but I'm running into a bit of trouble that I can't figure out. The set up posted by mgb_phys above works, with the switch between the cable modem and the router. I've tried to switch the router and the switch, so it goes:

Cable modem -> Router (NAT)
NAT port 1 -> Computer 1
NAT port 2 -> Switch
Switch -> Computers 2 and 3

The problem is that I can't access the internet, or even the router setup page from computers 2 or 3. Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

That should work - unless the switch is faulty or the router has some weird extra settign to only allow one machine per port.
Can you connect a computer directly to NAT port 2 and test that

Connecting a computer directly to NAT port 2 works, and just using the switch by itself works as well.

Sounds like the switch is blocking the broadcast from machines 2/3 when they try and get a dynamic address with DHCP.
Is this a smart switch with some traffic management or just a $10 dumb hub - the dumb one might work better!

Got it working! The problem was that the router auto-detects whether it needs to cross the cable or not, if it's connected to a computer or a modem, but not a switch. I had to connect it to the uplink port on my switch with a straight through cable (or one of the other ports with a crossover cable).

well done - often only the first/uplink port on a switch will autodetect (just to save a few pennies)

1. How can I connect 3 computers to just 2 IPs?

One way to do this is by using a switch or router that supports VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) technology. This allows you to create multiple virtual networks within a single physical network, allowing each computer to have its own IP address.

2. Can I manually assign IP addresses to each computer?

Yes, you can manually assign IP addresses to each computer by going into the network settings and selecting "Use the following IP address" instead of "Obtain an IP address automatically". Just make sure to use unique IP addresses for each computer and to also set the subnet mask and default gateway.

3. Do I need a special cable to connect multiple computers to the same IP?

No, you do not need a special cable. Any standard Ethernet cable will work for connecting computers to a switch or router.

4. How do I know which IP addresses to use?

The IP addresses you use will depend on your network setup. If you are using a router, you can typically find the IP addresses in the router's settings. If you are manually assigning IP addresses, make sure to use ones within the same subnet as your router's IP address.

5. Can I connect more than 3 computers to 2 IPs?

Yes, you can connect more than 3 computers to 2 IPs by using a switch that supports VLAN technology. This will allow you to create multiple virtual networks and connect more devices to the same IPs.