Network to connect television satallite dishes

• Thread starter pbj59
  • Start date
Does anyone here remember talk a few years ago about setting up a network to connect television satallite dishes to be used for astronomy? the theory was use the dishes overnight when most people are not watching. It could provide a large view and perspective with a surface area surpassing anything else imagined. After hearing/reading about it, I never saw it mentioned again.
RW

How would you connect them all though? Our dish is connected to the TV - not a lot you could do with that I'd have thought.... Where would the data go??

network

I wish I could remember where I read it, prob in Astonomy mag. or Pop science. The details I dont remember, thought it sounded good at the time. I suppose a wireless transmitter would relay the info to NASA or something.
Roy

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the idea is, in principle, just fine.

I suspect that, as usual, the devil is in the details.

network

When I read about this, I was fascinated by the possibilities- the total dish surface area could be immense, I wish I could remember where I read it. It had to be in a science or astronomy magazine(basically the only things I read ). I'm sure it would be complicated, but now with wireless being more completely developed, it could become more possible. I believe it would be worth it, and the good part is it could start small.
Roy

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving