Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Network to connect television satallite dishes

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    Does anyone here remember talk a few years ago about setting up a network to connect television satallite dishes to be used for astronomy? the theory was use the dishes overnight when most people are not watching. It could provide a large view and perspective with a surface area surpassing anything else imagined. After hearing/reading about it, I never saw it mentioned again.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2
    How would you connect them all though? Our dish is connected to the TV - not a lot you could do with that I'd have thought.... Where would the data go??
  4. Jun 16, 2005 #3

I wish I could remember where I read it, prob in Astonomy mag. or Pop science. The details I dont remember, thought it sounded good at the time. I suppose a wireless transmitter would relay the info to NASA or something.
  5. Jun 24, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the idea is, in principle, just fine.

I suspect that, as usual, the devil is in the details.
  6. Jun 27, 2005 #5

When I read about this, I was fascinated by the possibilities- the total dish surface area could be immense, I wish I could remember where I read it. It had to be in a science or astronomy magazine(basically the only things I read ). I'm sure it would be complicated, but now with wireless being more completely developed, it could become more possible. I believe it would be worth it, and the good part is it could start small.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?