Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Networking Newbie

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1

Science Advisor

All right guys, I'm officially asking for help.

I am trying to impliment a wireless hub in my house. No big whoop. Just to get the thing up and running, I started a shared internet connection via an open network connection. That worked like a charm.

So, now I want to impliment this as a secured network. This is where the problem is. I can not, for the life of me, get my laptop to access the network.

Here's where I am at:
    - I have set up the wireless hub on my host PC and have the wireless network settings printed out.

- I tried the automatic wireless network set up XP has using a USB flash drive, but I get an error and it does not work.

- When I enter the network key manually, the laptop attempts to connect, but it eventually gives up.

I did notice that the IP address, subnet address and the other parameter (name I can't recall) are all zeros and are not getting assigned automatically as they should. I have no idea if that is the problem or a result of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

OK. It would appear that even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while. It looks like it is up and running thanks to some tech support software from the router manufacturer. I sure would like to know what the heck I was doing wrong though...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?