Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Networking VMs?

Tags:
  1. Feb 16, 2017 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi just curious,
    Are there standard methods for putting several Virtual Machines in a network?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean like Docker containers?

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, not sure exactly, but I am just looking to have them be able to share resources (I am thinking mostly Active Directory) and communicate with each other in general, as standard physical machines do.

5. Feb 17, 2017 #4
  6. Feb 19, 2017 #5
    There are three types of virtual networks: Bridged, NAT, and Host-only. When you create a new VM or add a NIC to an existing VM, you assign the NIC(s) to a virtual network, thereby giving it access to any other VMs configured on the same network.

7. Feb 22, 2017 #6
    Yes. You can put a VM on a network assuming the VM has access to a NIC card. That VM could be added to the domain, and you could log into that VM using accounts in the active directory for that domain. If you looked for computers on your domain, you would also find your VM. That VM would be able to access whatever resources a physical computer on that domain could access. It would be for all intents and purposes, just another computer on the domain.

There ARE differences. But, for the scope of your question - they aren't relevant.

8. Feb 23, 2017 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all, it seems like just moving all VMs into the same domain has done the job.

9. Feb 27, 2017 #8
    VMs are supposed to be agnostic to the hardware they are running on. As long as their ips are different, there should be no issue. Sometimes you'll have to use a bridged adapter through the host though.

10. Feb 27, 2017 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Runner. Does the idea of having them in the same domain ( in windows) work in general too?

11. Feb 28, 2017 #10
    Yeah, part of my job is to manage some of my companies windows servers. I've virtualized all of them and they're all on the same domain.

As long as they each have their own ip and computer name. Ip you set in network and sharing, right click on the connection, properties, IPv4, properties. The computer name, right click on my computer and a select properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted